Replacing leaded windows

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warrenr

Established Member
Reaction score
I am considering replacing the leaded diamond pattern windows in my home as they are originals from 1933 in Crittall frames. The panes are bowed and more importantly some of the opening casements are corroded and some will not close properly. Most of the frames which are timber are in good condition.

A number of companies particularly in the south east offer replacement aluminium framed double glazed units specifically for Crittall windows which are standard sizes. The aluminium is used to get the robustness and so keep the frames with similar dimensions to the original which I understand cannot be done in timber without thicker dimensions. The originally frame is retained if in good nick and the replacement window unit fits the existing rebate and is screwed into place.

The double glazed units have the lead internally between the panes. The diamonds shown on web sites are larger than the original which SWMBO does not like. It occurs to me the reasons could be to meet Building Regs on the K value; based on thermal conductivity of the added contact across the panes that the increased leaded area represents or it could simply be cost.

This is an expensive undertaking and the leaded windows are a key part of the character of the house. I do not want to get it wrong. The suppliers put you on to the "sales team" who give the hard sell. Any advice and/or guidance would be welcome.

Richard

I once worked for a stained glass maker/repairer so know a fair bit about stained glass however my knowledge is around 10 years out of date.

When I was working we looked into encapsulating stained glass panels into double glazed units. It can be done, essentially the panel is made with a special section zinc surround this is then encapsulated into a triple glazed unit. However many manufacturers did not want to know, siting sizing problems. The glass sheets for sealed units are cut by machine to very tight tolerances as the seal around the edge is neccesarilly thin so it is not seen when installed. If you can find someone to do it this way you can have whatever design you want, even incorporating coloured or patterned glass.

However in my experience almost all double glazed units with leaded panels are made using stick on lead. This is normally applied by hand so if you can find a sympathetic manufacturer you should be able to get any size diamond you want.

Not sure if the above helps, just my experience.

James

You can have the leaded lights serviced if you want to keep them. Rebuilt, or just cleaned up,straightened out, re-sealed etc.
Then they will last longer than any DG replacement you are contemplating.

Latest posts

Back