Replacing corbels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manny

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to replace a pair of corbels for a porch (which were at one stage removed), they are they shaped pieces with the 3 holes that fit between the vertical and horizontal frame

see pic of neighbours

The overall size is of corbel is 215 mm wide x 285 mm long x 45mm thick

The question is should I make them out of:-

1. softwood 225 x 50 nom planed - I'm a bit concerned about movement/splitting etc. when screwed to the vertical timber and horizontal frame
2. or glue 3 layers ply together ie. 18 mm x 2 plus a 12mm piece

I think that the ply route is the safest as far as movement is concerned.

Any thoughts?

the vertical timber fixed to the wall is also missing so will have to be replaced

I'd do them same as the original - which is almost certainly redwood. Copy the structural details too - they are probably housed or stub tenoned to the vertical and horizontal. Set the grain the same way. Are they in 2 pieces with the grain horizontal, or one piece with the grain following the hypotenuse?
Can't go wrong really, no need to fake it.

Thanks

Jacob
Are they in 2 pieces with the grain horizontal, or one piece with the grain following the hypotenuse?

I can't tell as there's loads of paint on the neighbours - I guess that 2 pieces with horizontal grain would be best.

I can't easily cut any housings into the horizontal frame above - I was going to screw down through that into the new corbel.

So if the grain is horizontal isn't there a danger of the corbel shrinking, expanding etc. over a depth of 285 mm ?

The originals would be redwood or a pine of some sort. I would put the grain running with the hypotenuse as per Jacob. Perhaps 'large' screws from the leading edge as they are more or less decorative as your porch is still standing. Or 2 coach screws countersunk washers....that would be my choice and let you pull it in tight. Paint all back surfaces before fixing. If you wanted to find remnants of stubs, scrape paint off and see what you find. It will lok much improved back to as it was. Best wsihes.

Latest posts

Back