Replacing bearings on an old Elu MFF80 electric planer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonharper

Reaction score
I have just gotten hold of a beauty of an Elu planer (pre Black and Decker) .The bearings are a little tired so I have replaced the ballbearings with SKF's
The problem I have is with the removal of the small needle bearing for the cutter drum.
It is pressed into a blind hole. I have used my blind hole puller ( slide hammer with expanding collet type) on it but it just wont budge and I don't want to crack the plastic casing with too much mmmf. Any one with any experience with this?

I don't know the item in question but would a gentle warm of the plastic housing with a hair dryer expand it a little - well faster then the bearing so it may be tempted to come out with your slide hammer?

sorry .just seen yr post
the bearing is indeed a press fit into plastic and the new one went in with finger pressure . Dont know why the old one was so impossible and believe me i really gave the puller some wallop.
I spoke to an ex aircraft mate of mine who immediately said 'dremmel' so thats what i did and 15minutes later 'hey presto'
The irony is that the machine is no quieter than before , with four new SKF bearings. Brushes were hardly worn. I put some new blades into it.
I feel better for doing the bearings but now realise it probably was a bit of a waste of time. The machine was really tidy when i got it and didn't look like it had a great deal of use
Anyway the machine is great and planes beautifully plus i did only pay £20 for it.

Attachments

• 20220403_111029 (003).jpg
    20220403_111029 (003).jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 9
Back