Replacing a 3 phase motor with single

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bliuebird

Established Member
Reaction score
I got the opportunity to buy a wadkin table saw in good condition but the only downfall is that it's 3 phase .

I have thought about purchasing a 3 phase convertor but I prefer the option of converting it to single phase .
I have never done anything like this before and don't know where to start , could somebody please advise me on what to look for when purchasing the single phase motor and also any other parts that I need to purchase .
Is there a modern motor on the market that just mounts straight on or would I need to modify the motor mount on the table ?

A 10 inch blade would work fine on a single phase motor.
Ripping with a larger diameter blade might be iffy.

Can't help re the motor mount and all that, usually you just drill an extra hole hear and there if you cant find the
same type of mounting as the original.

dzj":3cookzzn said:
A 10 inch blade would work fine on a single phase motor.
Ripping with a larger diameter blade might be iffy.

Can't help re the motor mount and all that, usually you just drill an extra hole hear and there if you cant find the
same type of mounting as the original.

My Wadkin was manufactured with a single phase motor and is a 10 inch version which allows a 10 inch diameter blade to be lowered below the top of the table. It will also take a 12 inch blade which causes no problems - the only thing to be aware of is that the blade cannot then be fully lowered below the table. My machine is on a dedicated 16 amp circuit and needs a type 'c' mcb in the consumer unit as with a type 'b'it tends to trip on start up.

Misterfish

You'd want to check the hp on the the three phase and get a similar sized single phase motor. The largest single phase motor you can get. if memory serves me, is 4hp.

I stand corrected.
It's the first I've heard of written single pole and a wee Google tells me its a newish technology and as such will be accompanied by a large £££ price tag no doubt.

Lots of advanced technology seems to have been developed to plug up the issues caused by a lack of access to basic infrastructure such as 3-phase in certain countries. Seems like it would have been easier to just build it right from the start, personally.

If you have the same saw as me its easy. Mine is an old ags10 and originally had a three phase lump on it.

I purchased a 3hp motor from Axminster (however don't think they do them now) I had to drill new mounting holes to bolt it too the motor mounting plate.

I also had to bore out the lower 3 belt (motor) pulley to 28mm but was not a problem.

you can also buy a taper lock pulley from bearing boys http://www.bearingboys.co.uk/V___Wedge_Pulleys-1038-c with a suitable taper lock to match your motor shaft dia

Latest posts

Back