3 phase to 1 phase electrics?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob

New Luddism. Wake up and resist.
Reaction score
Moving to workshop with single phase. Presumably will not be able to use my 3 phase combi and mortice machines, or is there a converter of any sort? Be sorry to lose them as they are both excellent but probably worth not much 2nd hand
PS seen this: ▷ Running a Three-phase electric motors on single-phase power.
Is this viable or should I dump the machines?
Anybody doing this successfully?
PS oops just spotted this thread,will read it carefully! Phase convertor

Last edited:
Just buy a digital phase convertor and it will run both those machines without modifying either, as you say they are probably of great value in what they can do more than monetary but too many people want new and shinny rather than big and solid and for the cost of that convertor could you replace with anything as good. Look at something like this,

Digital Phase Converter 7.5Kw/10Hp 240V in 400V Out - JFK Electrical

and make sure your electrical supply is upto supplying it, as a one man band you don't need to worry about using both machines together so this might be on the larger side. If so

https://www.jfkelectricalni.com/product/digital-phase-converter-4kw-5-5hp-240v-in-400v-out/
but look at the motor plates .

Just buy a digital phase convertor and it will run both those machines without modifying either, as you say they are probably of great value in what they can do more than monetary but too many people want new and shinny rather than big and solid and for the cost of that convertor could you replace with anything as good. Look at something like this,

Digital Phase Converter 7.5Kw/10Hp 240V in 400V Out - JFK Electrical

and make sure your electrical supply is upto supplying it, as a one man band you don't need to worry about using both machines together so this might be on the larger side. If so

https://www.jfkelectricalni.com/product/digital-phase-converter-4kw-5-5hp-240v-in-400v-out/
but look at the motor plates .
Thanks for that. Looks good. Looking into it - I only started thinking about it today!

I've no personal experience, but I know a chap who has converted his own metalworking lathe to single phase. He is/was an electrical engineer, so presumably he knows what he's doing. From what I remember of our conversation, it wasn't overly expensive to do.

I'd need to check, but I think he's done conversions for other people too.

Hello @Jacob just wondering if you got anywhere with understanding the feasibility of converting 3P machines to single phase?
I've only single phase supply in the workshop I'm assembling, and as the building itself only a stopgap I'm not intending to upgrade the supply to 3P.
However, as a buyer there is a much greater range of professional/cast iron lumps in the 3P variety and it would be great to be able to use them on single phase.

Edit: I just read the very informative Phase Convertor thread and believe a digital phase convertor to provide a three phase circuit is my preferred option,.
However I think I will need to verify that there is sufficient juice supplied to the workshop consumer unit as the workshop supply is ran ~50 metres from the house to the bottom of the garden where the workshop is located.

Last edited:
Readily done by lots of people, the mix of a 3 phase motor and a vfd gives the advantage of digital speed control so is a fairly common set up for things where vari speed is beneficial

Readily done by lots of people, the mix of a 3 phase motor and a vfd gives the advantage of digital speed control so is a fairly common set up for things where vari speed is beneficial
Having read the Phase Convertor thread I think getting a digital phase convertor installed is the better solution for me.
Spec'ing and installation of a vfd would be a bit too techy for me.

Hello @Jacob just wondering if you got anywhere with understanding the feasibility of converting 3P machines to single phase?
It's on hold for me but it looks like I just have to buy the right kit and check cable can deliver the current, same as you it seems! I won't need vari speed though.

Moving to workshop with single phase. Presumably will not be able to use my 3 phase combi and mortice machines, or is there a converter of any sort? Be sorry to lose them as they are both excellent but probably worth not much 2nd hand
PS seen this: ▷ Running a Three-phase electric motors on single-phase power.
Is this viable or should I dump the machines?
Anybody doing this successfully?
PS oops just spotted this thread,will read it carefully! Phase convertor
Static phase converters are inexpensive and work very well IMO. I have purchased two of these over the years and have had no regrets! They are simple to wire. Keep all you "old iron"! :)
Phase-a-matic 1-3 HP Phase Converter.JPG

Back