Repairing cast

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakbear

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

In a bizarre accident a rogue hammer flew from one end of the garage to the other and caught the cast surrounding the spindle on my shiny new lathe! :shock:

It hit right between the indexing holes, and the cast iron there crumbled away into bits.
It all still works fine, although i've lost a couple of index points (no big deal as i don't use them as yet, and can get a index plate if i change my mind).

Any ideas how to repair this?

Chemical Metal or JB Weld are both metal filled epoxys. Build up the area with this then file/sand to shape and finally re drill your holes.

The JB weld can be a bit runny for this type of job so the Chemical metal which is more like car body filler will be better, it's also made by Plastic Padding.

Jason

Thanks for the tips guys!

The section it hit has crumbled due to the indexing holes being there. There's little to salvage and restick otherwise i'd have tried it.

I think i might try the chemical metal route, although i'll need to sort some kind of backing as the area it's broken through rests next to a bearing!

To be honest the incident wasn't too convoluted, i pulled something off a shelf, which was lodged in place. The item lodging it in polace was a rogue hammer (keep you tool safe tidy folks!:oops: ). This then decided to take a bizarre looping arc across the workshop, which left me wondering 'where the hell did that go?!'.
Unfortunately it was possible the one spot it could do most damage. Oh well!

I can live with for a bit. When i have a go i'll post the results if it'sd not too embarassing!

Back