Removing glue from disc sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawdust maker

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have a home made Disc Sander. basically it is an electric motor with a 10" face plate attached. My problem is when I change the sand paper most of the glue stays on the face plate. How do I get it off? Is there an easy way? I have been scrapping it off with a stanley knife blade but the must be an easier way

Paul

I read recently that WD40 is good at getting sticky stuff off so give that a bash. I've had great success with it on a number of different items.

Steve

I use petrol as I always have a can of it knocking around for the lawnmower. Maybe not the safest method (especially if you're a smoker), but works and the petrol evaporates quickly.

Don't use wd40 or any of the gum removers that use oil to remove/loosen the bond of glues as you'll find the new disc won't stick. Probably stating the obvious here :wink:
Alex

Sitcky Stuff Remover which you can get from Lakeland at this url
Code:
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/product.aspx/!8976
which won't paste as a link properly becasue of the !.

Nick W":3b43dqcc said:
Sitcky Stuff Remover which you can get from Lakeland at this url
Code:
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/product.aspx/!8976
which won't paste as a link properly becasue of the !.
With a little fiddling it can be done, link

OK, I give you the goods this time.

Go to the chemist (a local type of chemist, not the chains) and request a bottle of

ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL BP 70% v/v

a 600 ml. bottle cost me £4.99. last week,, they ordered it from their wholesaler and I got it later in the afternoon.

If you purchase branded sticky removers they cost a fiver for around 100mls.

If the chemist asks why you want the stuff tell them you have a lot of 8mm cine film that needs cleaning (or slides)
They might not want to supply you if they are concerned that you are misusing alcohol.

I second devonwoody's suggestion. This is also the best stuff to get permanent marker off varnished furniture. Unfortunatley I know from experience!

Dom V told me nail varnish remover is good for removing solvents or something like that PM him for more detail if you dare :lol:

Back