removing a bolt that holds a saw blade on (stripped head)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey all,
So, I cut a slot in the bolt with a dremel. However I did not have a wide enough flat head screw drive so I just put the flat head screw driver in one of the groves and hit it with the hammer. However, it just will not budge at all. I have some bolt extractor bits coming so I am hoping they will do the trick and be able to loosen it off. If not anyone have any other ideas?
Cheers
Mark

Depending on how brutal you want to go, I've always found that a combination of penetrating oil and heating the screw with a blowtorch works. Be careful using the bolt extractor bits; I've had mixed results with them. Sometimes they work perfectly but quite often they just snap off in the hole.

Looking down on the edge of the blade, with the teeth travelling towards you (as in normal operation position), if the arbour is on the right it is a left-hand thread, and if the arbour is on the left, as it is here, it is a RH thread. I'm afraid it has stripped because you have over-tightened it. :(

Steve Maskery":1vc0ax46 said:
Looking down on the edge of the blade, with the teeth travelling towards you (as in normal operation position), if the arbour is on the right it is a left-hand thread, and if the arbour is on the left, as it is here, it is a RH thread. I'm afraid it has stripped because you have over-tightened it. :(

Sounds right to me.

I have the same problem - with the saw clamping bolt, striped the head. Have you managed to release it in the end ? will need tu use Dremel tool and the heat.
The oil didn't help.

The bolt must tighten in the direction the blade/shaft spins otherwise it would work it's way loose (unless it has a means of being locked). Thus the norm is right hand thread.
Think of a bicycle moving forwards. If you stand to the right, looking from the rear, the wheels move clockwise. Standing on the left the wheels turn anti clockwise. It's the viewer's perspective that has changed not the rotation.

Edit: Track saws (all or just some?) rotate in the opposite direction to portable saws but the bolt is still tightened clockwise, as posted by Distinterior who owns 3 of them.

Do you guys realise this is a four year old thread? :shock: =D> =D>
And Mark hasnt visited the site in 2 and a half years. :lol: 8)

sunnybob":2gktlb4o said:
Do you guys realise this is a four year old thread? :shock: =D> =D>
And Mark hasnt visited the site in 2 and a half years. :lol: 8)

Irrelevant. It's about providing the correct information for future viewers.

I agree with those who say it will be a right hand thread. Note that the motor is the opposite way round from the normal arrangement with a table saw in which the arbor indeed does normally have a left-hand thread. Circular saws and tracksaws do not look like tablesaws turned upside down.

You have probably locked it solid by now!

Robbo3":2vfrq010 said:
The bolt must tighten in the direction the blade/shaft spins otherwise it would work it's way loose (unless it has a means of being locked). Thus the norm is right hand thread.

Sorry Robbo, you are wrong... not on a Tracksaw it doesnt...!!!!!! and there is no additional form of locking the fixing bolt.

Looking down from above the saw, the blade spins backwards and is on the RHS.
The bolt retaining the blade is a normal RH thread Clockwise to tighten.

Hang on.... If youre holding it in your right hand, and the blade is to the right of the machine, surely the blade spins clockwise looking from the right?

If you turn the screw the opposite way to the way the teeth point you'll be undoing it.
I think (as long as it's on the right way to begin with).

Gents,....With all due respect, I have 3 different tracksaws for different applications. They all have the blade on the RHS and when facing the blade, they all cut in an Anti Clockwise direction.
To tighten the blade retaining nut/ bolt/ screw, they tighten clockwise.....No debate!

sunnybob":wr2te14w said:
Hang on.... If youre holding it in your right hand, and the blade is to the right of the machine, surely the blade spins clockwise looking from the right?

Invariably Bob, due to the way tracksaws are designed and ride on the track, you hold the saw in your left hand in the vast majority of cutting uses.....

Distinterior":p0cdi4t0 said:
Robbo3":p0cdi4t0 said:

Sorry Robbo, you are wrong... not on a Tracksaw it doesnt...!!!!!! and there is no additional form of locking the fixing bolt.

:oops: :oops: :oops:
Apologies, it seems you are correct. I will edit my previous posts.
Teach me to check before offering an opinion.
Not owning a track saw, I presumed it was a normal portable saw with a guide rail. So I checked a DeWalt DWS520 instruction manual & the teeth point backwards meaning that it has to rotate anti clockwise.
The bolt baffles me as to why it doesn't come undone in use but I will have to bow to your experience.
So for future reference, the man with three track saws must be correct.

I am somewhat amazed.
I've never even seen a tracksaw let alone used one, havent used a hand held circular saw since the 70's.
This is completely counterintuitive to me.
You hold it in your left hand, push forwards, and the blade cuts upwards? :shock:
Truly?

Robbo3":bqzfm9k4 said:
Distinterior":bqzfm9k4 said:
Robbo3":bqzfm9k4 said:

:oops: :oops: :oops:
Apologies, it seems you are correct. I will edit my previous posts.
Teach me to check before offering an opinion.
Not owning a track saw, I presumed it was a normal portable saw with a guide rail. So I checked a DeWalt DWS520 instruction manual & the teeth point backwards meaning that it has to rotate anti clockwise.
The bolt baffles me as to why it doesn't come undone in use but I will have to bow to your experience.
So for future reference, the man with three track saws must be correct.

:) :) :)

I know it sounds extravagant, but they all have their uses... !! 2 of them are 240v, 2 different sizes and the 3rd is cordless for use when out on site.

Back