removing a bolt that holds a saw blade on (stripped head)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markblue777

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I went to change my track saw blade the other day and the bolt would just not budge. After trying for a while I become frustrated and took the impact driver to it and that was the worst with i could have done as it stripped the. My questions is, is there a way I can get the bolt out. It is a left hand threaded bolt so normal bolt extractor wont work and I dont really want to spend the 15 odd quid on a set that can do it as not even sure it it would move it.

I have tried drilling out the center of the bolt and tapping it for an m4 bolt but tightening then up to get the main bolt to budge does not work as the m4 bolt snaps off before anything moves.

Anyone got any ideas on how I could go about getting this out?

Cheers
Mark

If you have a dremel or an angle grinder, you can carefully cut a slot across the bolt and then use a large screwdriver to turn it - assuming you haven't chopped too much of it away when drilling it for the m4 bolt?

Hi Matt,
I was looking online and saw the idea of cutting a slot into it (don't know why that did not occur to be before really) I will give it ago tonight possibly as the dome of the bolt is untouched so hopefully that will do it for me.

I will keep you updated.
Cheers
Mark

I'm sorry Mark,.....but I think you are wrong about it being a LH threaded bolt..!!!

I just had a quick read through your instructions for that saw, and there is no mention of the blade fixing bolt being left handed.

I have a few track saws (not Parkside admittedly), but in principle they all work in the same manner and the blades all run in the same direction on all tracksaws and none of my tracksaws have a LH thread on the arbour. With a standard RH thread, the bolt/nut would tighten as the blade/arbour rotates, if it were LH thread it would work loose as the motor ran.

It sounds like it's fairly soft (as metals go) if you have rounded the bolt head.
You could try a pair of mole grips on it, and /or if possible get a file in there to establish a couple of flat areas to grip on to.

Hi Distinterior,
The blade spins in a counter clockwise direction and I assume it spins in the direction the bolt tightens to avoid it becoming loose over time. That would be a LH threaded bolt wouldn't it?
Cheers
Mark

Well,.....I've just been and checked 2 of my tracksaws and they both have a standard RH thread on them.....!!!!!

If you are facing the blade side, I would suggest you try to turn the bolt/allen head anti-clockwise and see if it comes loose. That is if you can still manage to get an allen key in it....????

markblue777":ywfsu6oq said:
Hi Distinterior,
The blade spins in a counter clockwise direction and I assume it spins in the direction the bolt tightens to avoid it becoming loose over time. That would be a LH threaded bolt wouldn't it?
Cheers
Mark

No, you have it wrong. Dont think about the blade, think about the motor shaft behind the blade. That shaft is being driven clockwise (you are looking at it mirror image), holding the R.H.thread in.

markblue777":1nngobxe said:
Hi Distinterior,
Cheers
Mark

Nope, sorry Mark, it tightens in the opposite direction to the direction of blade rotation!

EDIT.
It looks as though he's gone offline to check,.......come on Mark! whats the verdict????? Did you manage to shift it???

Only offline as I'm heading home from work. If I look at the there is an arrow on the case that shows the blade spins anti clockwise also on another forum someone confirmed it is LH thread.

Cheers
Mark

Well, I think they are wrong Mark. I'm sure it will be a standard RH thread.

Post back later and let us know how you get on.

Regards, Tim.

markblue777":il980cuq said:
Only offline as I'm heading home from work. If I look at the there is an arrow on the case that shows the blade spins anti clockwise also on another forum someone confirmed it is LH thread.

Cheers
Mark

The bolt will ALWAYS tighten the opposite of blade spin. The blade is NOT important. the rotation of the shaft will determine the bolt thread direction.

I convinced myself that my bike pedal was a LH thread and I now have Allen key with a twisted shaft, yup I was tightening it all the time. With a 1.5m pipe length over the Allen key I was lucky to end up with a funky Allen key rather than a stripped bolt.

Back