Remove and reinstall edage banding

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyqi

Reaction score
I have a few laminate doors from leicht, the German kitchen maker I want to resize. I suspect the existing edge banding is from laser edge bander. Is there any advise how can I remove the edge band and reinstate after cutting?

I did something ver6 similar only a month ago. In my case it was a door. First I attempted to warm the edge to see if it was just simple hot glue attachment, but no joy. I have a very accurate, table saw and used this with a sheet material blade and the scriber to cut the trim off the door. I used contact adhesive to reinstall, you can in very close inspection see a difference between what I’ve reapplied and the original, but, unless you were specifically looking, you wouldn’t know.

The alternative, is just to buy some new doors made to measure. They all use a very small number of manufactures of boards, again only a few months ago I had a untility rippec out annd new cabinets installed that I wanted it to match the German kitchen cabinets. I was able to buy doors that match so closely that I can use them within the main kitchen without anyone really noticing.

I did something ver6 similar only a month ago. In my case it was a door. First I attempted to warm the edge to see if it was just simple hot glue attachment, but no joy. I have a very accurate, table saw and used this with a sheet material blade and the scriber to cut the trim off the door. I used contact adhesive to reinstall, you can in very close inspection see a difference between what I’ve reapplied and the original, but, unless you were specifically looking, you wouldn’t know.

The alternative, is just to buy some new doors made to measure. They all use a very small number of manufactures of boards, again only a few months ago I had a untility rippec out annd new cabinets installed that I wanted it to match the German kitchen cabinets. I was able to buy doors that match so closely that I can use them within the main kitchen without anyone really noticing.
Thank you so much for the information. Glad to know it could be down. Which saw blade you use? I have the one around 40+teeth, the cut for veneered board is ok for one side, but not very good on the other side. Not sure how it will come out with laminate. How did you trim off the excess from the edging?

I know nothing about laser edge banders and not that much more about others.It might help to know how different the revised door size will be as removing an amount greater than a saw kerf could be done in two cuts,one to clean up the edging for re-use and one to take the door to it's new size.You can,just,remove the banding with a slim decorator's scraper and you may then be able to clean the glue and wood particles from it prior to it's new life.Re-sizing the doors without splintering edges and faces will need to be done with care.I wouldn't be happy about re-attaching the old edging with any kind of glue that expands or moves and it will be a fiddly exercise.If the bending is thick enough for a corner radius,it isn't too hard to do with a fine file.

Latest posts

Back