Remote controlled chip extractor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR H 91

Established Member
Reaction score
Good evening all,

I've seen a couple of posts on this subject, but they seem to be fairly dated, and I'm wondering if there's anything on the market or any advice available to help me with the issue.

I'm desperate to have something in place to switch my chip extractor on/off with a remote attached to each of my machines in the workshop. I have THIS chip extractor from Axminster.

I would prefer to have manually operated switches rather than the auto on/off system available from Axminster. Any advice given would be hugely appreciated (unless it's to advise me to turn it on/off manually!)

Thanks!

Rhys.

Same as above, have my dust extractor, shop vac and air filter on remote sockets all controlled from one remote. Turn on/off as needed.

The Energenie ones on amazon are 13amp. Some are only 10amp so watch out.

Thanks for your replies. Trouble is, my extractor has to be switched from the power on/off button on the machine (it’s always switched on from the socket). I assume this is an NVR switch.

Would the remote control sockets still power up my machine?

Thanks!

Some quality nvrs can be rewired so you can operate it directly with a remote socket but a job for some one who knows what they are doing with mains electricity.

image.jpg
image.jpg

This is much less sophisticated but has worked for years. The extractor has had the NVR switch wired out to make the motor run when the power is switched on by the ceiling switch, these are normally used to turn on bathroom heaters and immersion heaters.
The cord is extended through vine eyes screwed to ceiling beams and a pull cord put in near each machine. The remote system sounds good but not even I can lose that cord!
Mike.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 202
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 211
MR H 91":1n61nbit said:
Good evening all,

I'm desperate to have something in place to switch my chip extractor on/off with a remote attached to each of my machines in the workshop. I have THIS chip extractor from Axminster.
As already mentioned you must remove/bypass the NVR switch on the machine to allow remote switching.

For safety reasons you should also ensure that the extractor must be disconnected (unplugged) from the mains supply before any servicing can be carried out. The machine starting up for whatever reason whilst you have your hands in the innards is a sure way to put a stop to your workshop time. Easiest method to achieve this with a moveable machine is to shorten the mains lead such that the machine has to be unplugged to work on it.

I used a remote control socket and bypassed the NVR and it worked fine.

Trouble is I can't remember exactly what I did although it can't have been difficult if I did it! My NVR had two pairs of coloured wires and I think it was just a case of connecting one set of these together hence bypassing the switch.

I control my extractor with a remote controlled wall power socket. This supply energizes the hold-on coil in the motor contactor so that the socket contacts only switch a very small current. The motor power comes from a separate 16A circuit. This works well because the fan can keep running while I am progressing from one machine to the next - just have to close/open the relevant blast gates. I usually have the remote controller handy with me at the m/c I'm working on.
Brian

Clever people spend years making a switch that will save your fingers from being cut off, and then other people wire them out and or jam them with sticks.
makes you think, dont it?
=D> #-o =D> #-o

sunnybob":1v9qz3a8 said:
Clever people spend years making a switch that will save your fingers from being cut off, and then other people wire them out and or jam them with sticks.
makes you think, dont it?
=D> #-o =D> #-o
If it was on a bit of kit that might have cut my fingers off I wouldn’t have done it! #-o #-o

Thanks for all the help! I’ll speak to my electrician and have him bypass the NVR and have some remote controls at each machine. I’ll try not to stick my hands in the ducting in case the machine turns itself on and pulls me in.

Cheers

Rhys

fan blades can cut fingers off just as easy as bandsaw blades, except the cut isnt clean and they cant be stitched back on. Theres a reason they fit NVR switches to dangerous machinery.
But from a liability point of view... its a really bad thing to tell other people on an open forum to bypass safety switches (regardless of what you do in your own home) because if they follow your instructions and damage themselves, guess who their lawyer is going to send a letter to.

sunnybob":89ogt8af said:
fan blades can cut fingers off just as easy as bandsaw blades, except the cut isnt clean and they cant be stitched back on. Theres a reason they fit NVR switches to dangerous machinery.
But from a liability point of view... its a really bad thing to tell other people on an open forum to bypass safety switches (regardless of what you do in your own home) because if they follow your instructions and damage themselves, guess who their lawyer is going to send a letter to.
Do you read much fiction Bob? You certainly can write it.

I've spent over half a century working on machinery. I saw my first fan blade mangled finger when I was 16. Since then I have seen things done to and with machines that beggar belief, and I have read many fictional stories that dont come close to real life.

Its your life, if you chose to heed, or ignore friendly advice, thats your right.

I’ve gone for the ceiling switch extended by a long cord the length of the workshop also.

Main reason was to keep simple / reliable and cheap. £10 for the ceiling switch an job done!

I have a similar dust collector and I wired it for remote start without any real problems using the old forum posts.

I bought a DOL starter and replaced the NVR switch. That allowed me to buy a cheap 2 channel remote switrch off amazon (the name was eMylo 10A AC 220V-230V-240V 1000W 2 Channel Smart Wireless Remote Control Switch Inching Self-locking Black Transmitter).

I wired one channel to turn the dust collector on, and the second one to turn it off. Works like a charm since the remote switch is just handling the starter coils, meaning those little 10A relays don't cause a problem.

Regards,

Donovan

Please bear in mind NVR switches often incorporate overload protection.
The correct way to achieve this is to use a remote switch, to operate the NVR. Though not all NVR’s will have this facility.

Back