Reinforcing loose wall plugs.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BearTricks

Established Member
Reaction score
We’ve got a baby gate (for dogs) at the bottom of the stairs. Unfortunately someone leant on it and ripped the top hinges out of the plaster.

I’ll need to fill the holes with something to rehang the gate. Theres no option to redrill slightly higher or lower as we’re limited by space. Any higher and there’s nowhere to attach the latch on the other side, any lower and the skirting board is in the way. Is there a product which will fill the holes and be strong enough to keep the wall plugs in place or am I fighting a losing battle?

The opposite side is attached to the wooden post at the bottom of the banister. I’d put the hinges on the wall so the gate opens against the wall. Another option is to swap the hinges round and have the gate open backwards. Drilling in to the wood rather than dry old plaster might be a bit more forgiving.

Any ideas?

a solid wall use resin unless it's those hollow bricks....hole diff ball game.....
hollow brick wall I cut out the offending brick and replaced it with solid....
replaster and start again......
but I guess it's p/board use those collapsable metal fixings....

more info.....pls

Another possibility is If you can fix a 10/12mm deep x 30 mm wide ( approx) to the offending wall.you can then reposition the offending fixings and then simply fix the gate to the timber strip . Most of these stair gates are
Adjustable .

as per Clogs above, more info needed on the wall type, perhaps a photo?

but my first thought would be to remove any loose dust and debris then fill the hole with milliput, cure, redrill and new wall plug

Without a pic its a bit hit and miss,but maybe just pull the old plugs out of the wall assuming there are plugs and it was not just screwed into plaster,then hammer in a couple of oversized wooden dowels and screw into those.

I'd try the cotton wool and superglue trick Take the plugs out and pack the holes right with cotton wool and then apply superglue to the cotton wool, the thin type not the gel. It will react quickly and form a solid mass. It gets hot and may well give off fumes. Avoid breathing these! When done drill and fix screw directly into cotton wool/ glue.

Rawl plugs are pretty bad into plasterboard, they don’t really get a snug fit for the long term as the plasterboard kind of perishes/erodes around the hole, particularly on something with a moving load.

I would get some of these

https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-...rc=aw.ds#product_additional_details_container
Please make sure to get the metal ones.

Both these and the other metal flop down type are limited in certain applications, for example single plasterboard board direct close onto masonry then you won’t get them in, and they make a big mess.

I've got a pack of these, circular (about 2" across) mesh disks impregnated with plaster.
Made for this sort of reason, depending on wall of course. Wet the disk, fold it around a rawplug and pop it back into the hole. As it dries, it fixes to both the hole and the plug and becomes solid again.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/WETNFIX-20-DISCS-Fixing-redrill/dp/B01B2ULW7G

Here's the problem - the OP isn't forthcoming...

Gosh, less than 24 hours after he posts and he is 'not forthcoming'. It is possible he has other things to do in his life and can only pop his head in here once a day.

The two early requests for further information have failed to prevent everyone making suggestions. As an alternative to chastising the OP, perhaps direct your thoughts to those who have ignored the good advice.

For the sake of my comment lets assume its a normal wall not plasterboard and then the OP used the screws and rawlplugs that came with the stairgate and the rawlplugs are only in as deep as the coat of plaster.
If this is the case remove the plugs drill into the brickwork say an inch and a half or so use a proper plug and screw and all should be well. You'll never get a fixing into a plaster coat on a solid wall or with rubbish fixings provided with a stairgate

Last edited:
We’ve got a baby gate (for dogs) at the bottom of the stairs. Unfortunately someone leant on it and ripped the top hinges out of the plaster.

I’ll need to fill the holes with something to rehang the gate. Theres no option to redrill slightly higher or lower as we’re limited by space. Any higher and there’s nowhere to attach the latch on the other side, any lower and the skirting board is in the way. Is there a product which will fill the holes and be strong enough to keep the wall plugs in place or am I fighting a losing battle?

The opposite side is attached to the wooden post at the bottom of the banister. I’d put the hinges on the wall so the gate opens against the wall. Another option is to swap the hinges round and have the gate open backwards. Drilling in to the wood rather than dry old plaster might be a bit more forgiving.

Any ideas?
I know others have posted but these may be an option.
https://www.geefix.com/

Gosh, less than 24 hours after he posts and he is 'not forthcoming'. It is possible he has other things to do in his life and can only pop his head in here once a day.

The two early requests for further information have failed to prevent everyone making suggestions. As an alternative to chastising the OP, perhaps direct your thoughts to those who have ignored the good advice.
If you expect the correct answer, it's best you ask the correct question. I have no interest in chasing the OP, merely in finding out details - and any "good advice" is only relevant if we know what the substrate actually is - which we don't.

Apologies - I misread chastising.

Last edited:
I had many issues like this on my son's house in the USA. What I tended to do was similar to a previous comment. I chopped out a small rectangle of plaster to find timber underneath and screwed a piece of ply to the timber and filled the hole level withe wall,rubbed it down,created new holes in the original position and it looked perfect and I was happier going into the ply with my screws. However,very much depends upon the wall structure. My son's house is of timber fram construction.

Latest posts

Back