Red oxide ... as a finish?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadeye

Established Member
Reaction score
I know, sacrilege.
But...
- I like the colour
- it's cheap as chips
- it prevents rust
- it'll be inside the machine (I'm engine-painting the outside)
Is there a practical reason why not?

As a colour, if you like it, why not. But beyond that, what exactly do you mean by red oxide (as a paint type)? It's origins were as a lead based primer, now it's all kinds of safer formulations with differing properties and finishes...

As a colour, if you like it, why not. But beyond that, what exactly do you mean by red oxide (as a paint type)? It's origins were as a lead based primer, now it's all kinds of safer formulations with differing properties and finishes...
Just metal primer
Comes out a sort of satin. Contrasts nicely with the green for the outside
And the coverage is good too!

Its good and sturdy - go for a known brand as some of the cheapest just might not do it, If the area justifies (nice flat bits) then a mini paint roller would give a good smooth finish - well smooth enough!

Amazing stuff
As a pigment very dense. One thin coat of red oxide linseed oil paint completely obliterates whatever is underneath. No primer required.
I've used it quite a lot on woodwork.
No politics involved - "The peoples' flag is deepest red-oxide" just doesn't scan. :ROFLMAO:

Screenshot 2023-04-11 at 18.49.34.png

"Hematite is the characteristic component of the Swedish paint colour Falu red."

Last edited:
It’s not very water resistant. In a damp environment rust will still work its evil way. Witness the number of unfinished canal boat projects quietly rusting under their red oxide surfaces.

It’s not very water resistant. In a damp environment rust will still work its evil way. Witness the number of unfinished canal boat projects quietly rusting under their red oxide surfaces.
Lead oxide paints were also known as "red oxide" and was more water resistant but now banned.

Back