RECORD PT260 problem. Have you got one..........

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Splint Eastwood

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought a PT260 and a Record FM25 Morticer last christmas. As both machines are in France its not really convenient to take them back to my local dealer.

The PT260 thicknesser works great, but when I switch the dial to use the planer, it does not work. The instructions state Raise thicknessing bed to secure extraction
connector in position and switch the selector to planer, which still does not work. Seems to be something missing and need to know if anyone who's got one, can tell me.
When I put the thicknesser table down and look under the planer table, and inside the machine where the timber exits, there is a micro switch inside at the top. When I press this switch with a scrap piece of wood, the planer works :shock: so it seems that the thicknesser table, when wound up, should have something on it to engage the micro switch when it reaches the top so I can use the planer. Its really bugging me now, should I just make a piece to clip onto the table to engage this switch, or is there a proper piece that im missing?

I have spoken to technical support at Record a week ago, and they were going to check their PT260 and call me back, but no response :(

Also the FM25 drill bit rubs on the inside of the chisel when switched on and screeches loudly :? Drill bits and chisels are also from Record.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. 8)

Hi Splint.
I have a Draper version of what I think is the same PT,. I'll have a look in the morning and see what I can see. TBH I have not tried it out yet, other than to see if it works.
So, to clarify, I need to raise the thicknesser bed and see if it makes the motor engage. Would I then be able to lower the bed and perhaps disengage the motor, thus confirming the microswitch needing the bed in this position and confirming your problem being the switch?
Are you able to source another switch? Is the machine under warranty? If not do you know anywhere that may be able to fix it up for you; fit the switch?
Bearing in mind my having the same machine is there any other way I can help?

HTH

Neil

I'd be surprised if the micro-switch needs to be engaged by the thicknesser bed being raised, otherwise you'd only be able to shallow plane. The micro-switch should probably be pressed down by the extraction hood which will fit over the cutting block and rest on the infeed table - have you got all the parts for this and are you confident you are fitting the extraction hood correctly for thicknessing? The manual from the Record website (see page 16) shows that the extraction guard should be swung up over the infeed table, locked in place with two locking levers, and have the cutter block guard placed over the top of it - see Fig 7.2/7.3.

Splint Eastwood":12k2s1n7 said:
o it seems that the thicknesser table, when wound up, should have something on it to engage the micro switch w

Sorry to state the obvious, but isn't there a plastic extractor piece which should be removed from the other part of the extractor (which flips over) and then inserted into the opposite side, and raised into place by the thicknessing bed to engage this switch? That's how it works on my metabo HC260 which is pretty much identical...

Video here of this process

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE_nt9TU8uU

If you already know all that, apologies.

I think Drillbit is right; it looks to me like the machines made by Metabo/EB, Draper, Record, SIP and others are all from the same factory. I believe mine, the draper, needs the extractor to be in place before the unit can be used, as explained by DB.

HTH

Neil

Thanks to all who have replied, but I think the Gold medal goes to Drillbit (Toby). Now why dont Record do a video like Metabo. At the begining of the video it shows the lever underneath that has to be engaged by the dust shoot Which NEVER came with my thicknesser :evil: and no mention of it in the instructions.

Thanks Toby, I will now get onto Record and get them to send me one :)

I had a similar experience with a few missing parts when I bought my table saw from Record. Their support staff were very helpful though and sent the parts out quickly. Good luck!

Glad to be of help.

I've always found Record customer support to be excellent, so I am sure they will sort you out.

To answer your second question about the hollow chisel...

It is possible that you have the bit too far up inside the chisel. There should be a gap of a couple of mm between the chisel and the cutting part of the drill. This is done by adjusting its position in the chuck. A drop of oil on the bit will help as well. The gap also allows waste to travel up inside the chisel and out of the window.
HTH
S

Steve Maskery":2fnsfia7 said:
To answer your second question about the hollow chisel...

It is possible that you have the bit too far up inside the chisel. There should be a gap of a couple of mm between the chisel and the cutting part of the drill. This is done by adjusting its position in the chuck. A drop of oil on the bit will help as well. The gap also allows waste to travel up inside the chisel and out of the window.
HTH
S

Thanks Steve, The chisel is fitted correctly and secured with the pinch bolt. And the drill bit has has also been fitted into the chuck, allowing a gap for waste to travel up. Once the chisel and drill bit are secure screeching can be heard where the drill bit is rubbing above the cutter part.

However, when I unscrew the chisel pinch bolt very slightly, the screeching stops. Its as if when I pinch the chisel bolt up its pulling the chisel into the drill bit, as you can actually see this happen but very slightly :?

Joe

Had similar problems with mine. It'll be the "safety" micro switches, they're a real PITA! There's one under the table bed which is pressed by the plastic collection hopper as you wind the thicknesser bed up. In the end I couldn't really see how this was adding to any safety aspect as I always had my hands in the machine trying to adjust this switch so
I bypassed it all together. No such problems now and it's one less part to go wrong/replace in the future.

Back