Quantcast

Record power Sabre 450 Buying Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Woodywright

Reaction score
Hello Newbie here to the forum. Look forward to interacting with you all. Need to buy a single phase bandsaw with a large capacityand am looking at the RP Sabre 450. I have read the rtopics here on the 350 but haven't seen any comment on the 450. Does anyone here have any experience of this machine? Otherwise open to alternative suggestions if you have any. Many thanks Ant

gog64

Established Member
Reaction score
I’ve got one, what do you want to know? I’m pretty happy with it once “tuned”. The fence is basic, but solid & works OK. Buy some Tuff Saws blades! I had a much smaller Axminster before, so don’t have a lot to compare it to.

Woodywright

Reaction score
Thank you for your response. On paper it seems to spec well against similar priced bandsaws. I really wanted to know whether the newer sabre guides worked well and the saw stayed true when ripping and didn't wander. I was recommended to buy a BS400 by someone and when looking understood this to be the replacement and wondered if it was whether it was worth the extra money. I want to rip some teak boards 280mm high so would likely be pushing it to the limit and would like to know if you thought it would cope. I note your recommendations for Tuff saw blades and checked them out on the web yesterday. It seems everyone recommends them.

gog64

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I’ve got a 3/4 inch fastcut blade on at the moment and resawed an oak plank at least that size the other day (I really needed a section of 1/2 inch and all I had was kiln dried 1 inch rough sawn (about 32mm sawn). It worked fine and after planing I ended up with around 12mm dead flat on about 750mm length. Of course the next day it had cupped like a beggar, but that’s resawing for you. Obviously (not trying to teach you to suck eggs) I’d planed one face first and made a square edge.

So, I don’t know the technicalities of bandsaws very well, but I’ve used it a lot and it cuts straight and never seems to struggle.

BTW my little bandsaw buddy from Axminster made setup easier for me, but like I said, I’m no bandsaw guru, that’s probably laughable to some of the experts on here!

Woodywright

Reaction score
Great! Thanks for your answer, very helpful. I assume this has the same guides as the 350. Perhaps other members of the forum can comment on the guides. I have never used this saw and the guides were supposed to be an improvement on the old system.