Record Power BS400 Bandsaw Review

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi bob,

This is an old thread but I’ve been looking at getting my first and probably only, bandsaw. Checked out the bs400 at Scott & Seargent and looks to be a nice machine with good power and seems to still be the best value for money out there. But also going to see the sabre 350 next week at DM Tools which is same price, a little bit lower on power and resaw height but lots of new bells and whistles. Would you still get the bs400 today or are there things about it you are not so happy about and might lean to the newer sabre saws?
Thanks.

Just my two penny worth, the newer Sabre saws have much better blade guides, even Record Power realised their range needed updating.

Although if you read Lonnie Birds book on the bandsaw he says that the European guides are fine and accurate and everyone you used them on the BS400 seemed to say how accurately they cut so based on that how much of an upgrade are they? Just saying as I have no experience of any of them. I must say that adjusting the lower guides on the bs400 looked a tad fiddly.

Any guide that use's a rubbing block or has the rear bearing at right angle to the way a bearing should run must be a compromise on what can be achieved, and is mechanically unsound, I personally can not see any other reason for this other than cost, so the conclusion is they are built down to a standard, if indeed the rubbing blocks and back to front bearing guides are that accurate then think how much more accurate they can become with a sound engineering solution, I took the guides off my BS350 and replaced them with bearing guides, the immediate noticeable effect was the reduction in noise when cutting, and long term the reduction in man hours adjusting them.

I'm in the process of upgrading my ancient startrite 352 (0.75hp) bandsaw and am looking at either a record BS400 or maybe a sabre 450 or a hammer n2-38 . I don't have a lot of workshop space. Has anyone here got the base dimesnions of the BS400 ? I got in touch with record and got this as a reply!! I don't know if my communication skills are waneing. Cheers Andrew

From stevel on 11-09-2023 12:27​

i only have the sabre i am afraid

The BS400 is larger and more basic

From AndrewMaz on 09-09-2023 09:42​

Hello
I am looking to buy either a sabre 450 or an s400 bandsaw. Could you please let me know the base footprint dimensions of both models. I am currently using a startrite 352 (early version that I bought about new 45 years ago and it's a bit underpowered for resawing) I'm a bit tight on space in the workshop so any dimensions you can send me will be usefull in making a choice.

My brain is going soft. I sent an apology to Steve at record they did actually send me a photo of the sabre 450 with measurements on it, although nothing for the bs400. If anyone has one that they could measure the footprint I would be very gratefull. I'm erring on the side of getting a sabre 450 as the base is a bit smaller than the hammer N2-38 and apparently smaller than the base of the sb400 (I maybe corrected on that) The sabres wider blade capacity appeals although I would use a blade on size lower than the maximum (I'm resawing guitar backs mainly maple mahogany but i've been given a large plank of old Brzaillian Rosewood from a friend to saw into guitar backs so I don't want to screw it up. If anyone has any extra tips for medium size bandsaws (i've got 400v 3phase in the workshop) and moneys not too much of a problem but space is !! then i'm all ears.
Cheers
Andrew

Thanks very much. Just out of interest how do you like the bs400?
Cheers
Andrew
Love it. Bought it from another member here. Just got some.new blades from Tuffsaws and off she went.

Haven't resawn anything worth bragging about. But have used it to cut all manner of hardwood bits and just love using it.

At the moment it's got a 10 (or 3/8") fine-ish blade on it that does most of my cutting.

Dust collection could be better. And mine didn't come with wheels so I made some chunky wooden castor feet to take 100mm castors without raising the top of the saw too much.

Does anyone have the jockey wheel kit fitted to their BS400?

Could anyone tell me the overall height please, with and without the hoist loop at the top? Thanks in advance.

Latest posts

Back