Record bandsaw deals?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Benpointer":1xxm7t67 said:
I would guess simliar offers are available whenever Yandles have Record visit (8/9 April next?)

I spoke to Record a few weeks back and was told the current 'show deals' run up until 1st March, so I am guessing that the ones at Yandles in April may be a bit different / different models on offer. But BS400 always seems to be on the list. I have to say, given the deals are generally so good I wonder if anyone actually buys anything big from Record other than at the shows.

Terry.

If you are looking for New equipment, the shows give the best value with discount and free delivery with Record and perhaps a few others. If you havenet seen the show dates, they are here woodworking-show-event-dates-2011-t38294.html but some other dates may not be on the list yet. Always best to phone the manufacturers you are interested in and ask when the next show will be and what discount

Well I have taken the plunge and ordered a BS400 from Yandles based on the good reviews I have read here

Thanks for further contributions. Just to let y'all know what happened with me...
After reading what has been said here and speaking further to the guy at the retail place I'd found aftermy post here I allowed myself to be convinced that, given the 'free' wheelkit and blade pack deal on the BS350S already offered, I was unlikely to do better at a show. So I succumbed to immediate temptation and told them to bung one in the boot, which they did (three chaps to lift the main box).

Getting it out of the boot again and down into my cellar by myself was a bit more diffcult of course, but doable!

I'd anticipated a struggle getting the stand/wheelkit together, but in the event it was pretty easy - the instructions were actually written by a native English speaker I think, so none of the 'offer the slidig bit to the aft trimmel' one sometimes gets. The diagrams and parts list obviously pertained to a slightly different variant of the machine I had, but nowt common sense couldn't sort out.
Took me the best part of an afternoon to set it up using the DVD guide supplied (which again related to a slightly different variant), but first test cut trying to rip a 15mm slice off a piece of 3x2 redwood yielded a slab 15.06 +/- 0.07 along a 500mm length which made me happy, being my first attempt on a bandsaw. Maybe I fluked it! I wasn't expecting that sort of accuracy.
I've got a number of minor gripes about the way the machine's built (why do you need three Allen keys to change a blade? What's that bit of plastic obscuring the bottom guides there for?) but that's for more research or another thread.

I saved 40 quid on delivery anyway, which could possibly go on a set of instructional DVD's if such a thing can be had...

Regards, Rob.

Great news Rob. Now the fun begins. Lets have plenty of photos of workjshop and as you progress. It is always good to actually 'see' what people are doing.

Malcolm

Thanks for the encouraging words Malcolm. I'm not sure that anything I do is interesting enough to warrant pics, but since you ask...
This afternoon, by way of getting to know the machine, I tackled a job I'd been putting off - cutting a shelf to fit the window recess in a rough stone wall. I'd been putting it off because I thought I'd have to cut the profile to match the stone with my jigsaw, which is the second most hated power tool I own. Material is 30mm teak board reclaimed from a chemistry teaching lab refurb (they now have rather lovely melamine faced chipboard benches - the teak only lasted 50 years of daily abuse before being chucked on the skip). As you'd expect, the saw went through like the proverbial hot knife (using the 3/8" 3tpi Record blade supplied as part of the deal - the one on the wheels when I unpacked the machine pulled horribly to one side):

ShelfProfile.jpg

And it fitted! Result!

ShelfInPlace.jpg

My (ahem) 'workshop' is the cellars under the house (which used to be a pub). Very much a WIP.

Cellar1.jpg

Cellar2.jpg

Well you asked!

Overall, I'm well pleased with this buy - there's a few things which bug me about the machine (mainly to do with the the blade guides and the fact that it seems impossible to remove the fence without taking the blade off), but these things can be fixed. An unexpected bonus is that my wife has taken an interest after I sliced a burr which she'd bunged in the car on our last firewood scavenging run. Wow, that's beautiful! So she approves of the purchase!
Regards, Rob.

Attachments

• ShelfProfile.jpg
    ShelfProfile.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 531
  • ShelfInPlace.jpg
    ShelfInPlace.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 531
  • Cellar1.jpg
    Cellar1.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 531
  • Cellar2.jpg
    Cellar2.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 531
Thanks for the photos, your shop looks busy and the new window bench is great.

Tuning the bandsaw to run well is one of the first ythings to do so that it runs as you would like. These videos will help

THE BEST FROM A BANDSAW 'Alex Snodgrass of Carter Industries has an excellent video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGbZqWac0jU on a tune up method that works well, but if you want to get the best use of your bandsaw on an ongoing basis, then the Steve Maskery DVD's will show you far more and they are a real investment. http://www.workshopessentials.com/shop/ '.

2. For checking the tension of your blade - A Flutter test Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8zZuDosSy0

Hope this helps you.

Malcolm

Thanks for the links Malcolm - they are indeed helpful. At the mo, the saw is doing what I want, but I'm sure that it it's capable of far more and Steve Maskery's DVD's are deffo going on my wish list. The machine is one of those 'why didn't I get one ages ago' buys, my only slight regret is that I didn't go for the 400.

Terry - sadly, unlike the 400, the fence won't even clear the back of the upper wheel enclosure. Maybe it's the same length fence on a smaller machine. The fence is fixed to the carrier by two T nuts which are actually too wide in the stem of the T for the slot in the fence extrusion (presumably so they can use M6 screws), so they've milled out the slot for a couple of inches or so to accommodate them. I'll probably just mill it out further so I can slide the fence back a bit - less drastic than chopping the far end off! It's an irritating bit of corner-cutting by Record tho. As is the use of steel cap screws biting into alloy castings on the blade guides. All fixable though!
Regards, Rob

Latest posts

Back