Record bandsaw deals?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaoticbob

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry to add yet another bandsaw enquiry, but I need to know! I'm poised to buy a bandsaw, and after much research I think it'll be the RP 350S - unless anyone knows better in that price range. D&M are currently offerring this at 699 inc the pedal wheel kit (which would be useful, if not essential) and three extra blades (type unspecified). plus 39 quid delivery. I don't know much about the retail market in woodworking machinery, so my Q is - does that seem a good deal? Or could I do better by going to a Record 'event'? I seem to recall reading that discounts are available, even if one doesn't actually show up at the venue but not sure where I got that idea!
Regards, Rob

I bought one of those in January. Seems to be a nice saw although the casters on the wheel base are a bit cheap, one collapsed but another is on its way. I will likely make a base for it with some storage. The blades where 3/8" on the saw with a pack of 1/4" 3/8" and 1/2". Only really done test cuts at the moment as other projects get in the way of the woody ones.
Seemed a good deal for me and the 5 year warranty is nice to have.

At any of the shows, Record offer free delivery and a good discount. You could give them a ring and find out where the next few shows are?

There always seem to be record bandsaws popping up on eBay. Worth monitoring as well as the shows. They are quite a simple bit of kit.

At Harrogate show the price tickets on the Record Bandsaws were same as the prices and D&M. I didn't ask about delivery and extras since I already have a bandsaw

Thanks for the replies. It's a bit alarming that a castor on the wheelkit should have collapsed - they must indeed be a bit flimsy, it's not that heavy a machine. Still, I guess they could be replaced with something beefier if push comes to shove, as it were.
I've now discovered that there is a Record distributor local to me (Jaymac in Derby) who are offering the same deal as D&M so I'll pop in there tomorrow and talk to them. Assuming the machine will fit in the back of an estate, I can at least save a few quid on delivery if I go through them I guess.
Thanks for pointing out the Newark show - that's within striking distance for me. I'll probably go along anyway.
I've been keeping an eye on eBay/Gumtree, but I've not seen anything good and local to me yet.
Regards, Robin.

THIS WEEK END ONLY Just had an e-mail to say Yandles have a show this week end. Even if you cannot make it, call them and see if you can get a deal on Record equipment if you are still interested. It may save you money

That's a great machine. I have the BS400 and am very pleased with it. Discount and free delivery if you buy via the show at Yandles this week end only. Call them if you can't make it.

Thanks for Yandles alert - no chance of getting there but I'll give them a buzz tomorrow. Went and had a poke at the machine at Jaymac today, it looked OK, controls seemed smooth and positive though the fence wasn't as rigid as I'd hoped - I wasn't convinced that the rigidity of the actual fence matches the stoutness of the of the casting/bar it is attached to. Anyhow, I was very tempted to buy there and then, but I haven't actually got ministerial approval for this purchase yet, so couldn't...
We've just had a quote of 750 labour alone to fit four radiators (outrageous IMO), so if I do that myself, much as I hate with a vengeance anything plumbing related, I should be able to make a case!
Thanks again foryour input, Rob

(D&M are currently offering this at 699 inc the pedal wheel kit which would be useful, if not essential) and three extra blades).

I purchased this deal a couple of months ago, pleased so far and it suits me for what I do. I need to pull it away from the wall when I use it and have not had a problem with the wheel system. 4 blades supplied are OK but will not last long, I am now on my last one and have just completed my 25 yard fence.
I think I am right in saying, the machines come from Record warehouse direct, I had a problem with the delivery from D&M and ended up contacting Record, they sent one out next day =D> ….bb

scosarg":36dl5dmi said:
if you have a problem speak to Richard - he has been excellent at sorting out warranty issues for us - his email is [email protected]

Plus 1 for Richard at Record.

I had my SD31 delivered yesterday, for the third time of asking. All the problems were due to the transport company, not Record, but unlike so many companies these days Record (in the person of Richard) did not try to hide behind that fact. After the second failure to deliver he despatched a spare set of blades free of charge and he continued to check with transport company keeping me fully informed.

This is after I bought the PT on a 'show special' which was £300 below the normal price of the machine delivered, so their profit margin was a lot less than normal.

Based on my experience a very good company and Richard is a very good person to deal with.

Terry.

chaoticbob":2axje8wz said:
Thanks for Yandles alert - no chance of getting there but I'll give them a buzz tomorrow. Went and had a poke at the machine at Jaymac today, it looked OK, controls seemed smooth and positive though the fence wasn't as rigid as I'd hoped - I wasn't convinced that the rigidity of the actual fence matches the stoutness of the of the casting/bar it is attached to. Anyhow, I was very tempted to buy there and then, but I haven't actually got ministerial approval for this purchase yet, so couldn't...
We've just had a quote of 750 labour alone to fit four radiators (outrageous IMO), so if I do that myself, much as I hate with a vengeance anything plumbing related, I should be able to make a case!
Thanks again foryour input, Rob

When I posted "you must be joking " I was referring to a problem on a lathe not a bandsaw I have a 350 s from Record and am well satisfied with it. The cl4 Very poor design
Timber

Slightly too late I know, but Record were at Yandles yesterday and Friday 19/20th Feb and I bought the BS400 for £100 off (so £899), with free delivery. :)

I would guess simliar offers are available whenever Yandles have Record visit (8/9 April next?)

Well done Ben, you will have a great time with that one. Remember that it does need a tune up like all bandsaws, so be aware of this information

THE BEST FROM A BANDSAW 'Alex Snodgrass of Carter Industries has an excellent video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGbZqWac0jU on a tune up method that works well, but if you want to get the best use of your bandsaw on an ongoing basis, then the Steve Maskery DVD's will show you far more and they are a real investment. http://www.workshopessentials.com/shop/ '.

For checking the tension of your blade - A Flutter test Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8zZuDosSy0

Back