Record 151 Spokeshave

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

segovia

Established Member
Reaction score
I picked up a Record 151 spokeshave at the weekend, I think it's an R version, but it isn't stamped R

The adjustment threads look a bit skewed to me compared against a standard Stanly 151, see picture

Threads a little loose in the body, but I'll fix that with some loctite.

Any thoughts on the skew

Attachments

• 20230511_202220.jpg
    20230511_202220.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Just ignore it and carry on? Doesn't matter what the threads are doing as long as the blade moves freely surely?

It's pretty easy to tell a round-soled from a flat-soled shave: round soles curve front to back, flat soles are a short, flat sole (measuring front to back). It's always possible, of course, that someone needing a round-soled shave made one from a flat-soled shave. If that happened, I would expect the curve to be a touch irregular, unless the previous owner who did the modification was a dab hand at grinding to shape.

As to the adjusting screws: try it out, see if it creates a problem. If not, use the loctite to get one straight, then use it as the anchor point to push/pull the other as straight as it can be when you loctite it.

As far as I know, the 151 series are the only Record spokeshaves with those adjusting screws. I think the same is true of the Stanley shaves, with the same "model" designation (Stanley also had the straight-handled 152 series, but Record did not seem to adopt that design): read all about the A64 here

Back