Record 078 parts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pvt_Ryan

Established Member
Reaction score
I aquired a Record 078 which was missing the fence and rails (not sure if that's what you call them)

basically all the parts not attached in this pic:

Does anyone have (any) of those parts spare or know how I can make something to fit?

Ryan

Hello there. It does look as though you have the fence , the T shaped piece in the top left of your picture and a short rail,The rail screws into the plane body and the rail fits on with the longer part under the plane body.

It's a common enough tool, if nobody on here can help it might be worth an email to www.record-planes.com/ who will surely be able to sort you out with the correct thread etc. If you can get that tapped onto a bar and make a wooden fence you are in business.

Alternatively try contacting Ray Iles, Pennyfarthing tools, Inchmartine Tool Bazaar etc. I have had dealings with all of these guys in the past and their service is fantastic.

Or you can get a new Stanley fence and depth stop. Try http://www.stanleytoolparts.com There's a kit that has the rod, fence and screw for $US10 and a second kit has the depth stop & screw as well as lever-cap and screws (ignore the illustration of the lever-cap :shock: ) also for $US10.

Although these prices aren't outrageous, it still might be cheaper to keep an eye out on e-pay for a broken #78/078 with all the parts. Anyway, at least you now have a few options.

Cheers, Vann.

parvum":3hvfwg74 said:
Hello again Sorry for being a d***head ,didnt read your post before gobbing off

Don't worry, you're not the only one! I had written almost exactly the same post as yourself, but then started to think "surely the OP must realise those bits are what is needed...............". So fortunately decided not to send the post :oops:

Buy another one with the parts - unless you're spectacularly lucky, it'll be cheaper. Sad, but true. :( On the plus side, actually it's pretty useful without them (which is presumably why they're so often missing). You just treat it like the thousands (millions) of plain wooden rebate planes that came before it. (Anyone got a nice helpful pictorial on that bookmarked someplace?) Or actually they make not bad scrub planes.

To be fair the seller did offer me my money back and I said no as it was partially my fault and I thought I could obtain the parts easily / cheaply.

Currently bidding on one on ebay which ends in a few hours.

Latest posts

Back