Bench grinding wheels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was rather disturbed by the OP indicating that the machine vibrates (when not bolted down), as all of the bench grinders I have had run very smoothly and bolting down is to counteract the forces you put on the wheel(s) when in use. Sounds like there is a balance problem as that is a small grinder.
It runs smoothly, the mention of movement was part of a light-hearted comment :).

"Clarke International" - may have been made to a budget. I've had grinders made in Taiwan (before China became the dominant cheap-tools manufacturer) that could have walked to the next town, or to the end of their power cord at least, all on their own.

Another possibility to consider is the bearings. If they're cheap or going bad, replacing them with quality bearings may help. But that won't correct balance problems.

So, assuming it is/ can be made clean, it'd be good for sharpening tungsten TIG tips?
Not really as you want the scratches to run parallel to the rod towards the tip, grinding on the side won’t let you do that

Not really as you want the scratches to run parallel to the rod towards the tip, grinding on the side won’t let you do that
Like this? We'd make an adjustable jig to hold the angles.

IMG_20240126_214449.jpg

Idea based on one by a fella on the mig forum. Ours can be swivelled to allow different lengths/ angles of cone. We'll see how well it works once the lad is here to try using it. In the meantime I'll have a go at cleaning the face.

IMG_20240127_115057_edit_84843662559446.jpg
IMG_20240127_115020_edit_84903729204229.jpg
IMG_20240127_115050_edit_84879456099024.jpg

Latest posts

Back