Recommended Small Workshop Vacuum/Dust Extractor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushpilot

Reaction score
Hi folks - I hope this is posted in the correct place. I just wondered if anyone had a recommendation for a small-scale dust collector. I've just sold my Scheppach 1000 as it was far-too big and noisy for my limited space. I was thinking of something along the 'Henry' line or similar. I just do the odd bit of band sanding and coping saw work as well as hand-sanding/filing etc. Just want to prevent the rest of my workshop (garage) items getting caked in dust as I work.
Many thanks and compliments of the season to you all.

The rutlands workshop vac gets great reviews - on par with Festool they say - been thinking that I may get myself one so let me know what you think of it?

I use a parkside (with cyclone added) for general workshop use but when sanding I often use a Henry, quiet, powerful and superb filtration.

The Aldi Ferrex is a great bit of kit. Stainless steel bin and extending wand, tool storage, power take off with autostart, wheels and loafs of power. About £50

I use my screwfix Titan wet and dry. Super cheap, does the job well and seems to be able to handle tonnes of sawdust without getting damaged. Basic... but does the job.

Get yourself a NilFisk aero 26-21 from Screwfix for about £150.
It has power take off, one of the quietest motors on the market and you can upgrade the filter to m grade for reasonable cost.

Buy something cheap and noisy from someone who will honour the guarantee, or spend a bit more and get something quiet and better.
For tool extraction, you really want a machine that has a bypass motor fitted.
These draw cooling air into the motor through a separate intake, they don't rely on the dirty air flowing through the dust filter to cool the motor on the way out.
Why does it matter ?
If you choke a vacuum for a long time by connecting it to (eg) a sander which has only tiny air passages inside the tool, the airflow is much less than the cleaner is designed for. The motor will overheat after a while.
An extractor fitted with a bypass motor doesn't have this issue as the cooling air is always available, even if the hose is blocked.
You will get away with a simple vacuum for short jobs, but if you plan to do a lot of sanding, be aware of this issue.

I would stick to a Henry. There's a reason why they are so popular with cleaning companies. They are quiet & have good filtration. Bags are also fairly cheap even direct from the manufacturer.
I got given one from Freecycle. Pity you are not closer or you could have it.

Does anyone have the adaptors for the henry hoses. The internal diameter is 32mm i think ... and the adaptors that came with cyclone are 35mm really annoying.

Does anyone have the adaptors for the henry hoses. The internal diameter is 32mm i think ... and the adaptors that came with cyclone are 35mm really annoying.
Elephant tape or turn your own if you have a lathe.

I use my screwfix Titan wet and dry. Super cheap, does the job well and seems to be able to handle tonnes of sawdust without getting damaged. Basic... but does the job.

I just got the 30 litre one, looks pretty decent and not too bad a price.

The "Triton dust adapter" will convert Henry to almost anything. Usually under £4 on Amazon but I see it's now hovering around £10, so shop around.

tx for that guys its the cyclone i bought has a diamater of 50mm , their supplied adaptors go down to 35mm which is exactly the diamater of the henry hose. most frustrating so yeah need 2 adaptors then it would seem another 20 quid splashout and postage.

Back