Recommendations for Shop Vac

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spence

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I've decided that for both my health and sanity I need to invest in a new shop vacuum cleaner. Can anyone recommend an entry level one from Amazon? Needs to be sold or fulfilled by Amazon as they owe me some credit and will only pay out on products associated with them.
Im currently using an old household vacuum cleaner so literally anything would be an improvement. Bonus for something that can plug into my tablesaw/sander dust outlets.

So far I'm looking at this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shop-Super-Vacu ... s=shop+vac

and this one by scheppach http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scheppach-HD2P- ... +extractor

Thanks for any advice!

It does look a good deal, though power take-off would be nice if you could find one with it. The only other thing I would suggest looking into before making a final decision is filter / bag costs. I bought the Lidl wet'n'dry which is very good, but ideally I'd like to use the fine filter bags with it, however, so far I have only been able to find sources for these in Germany and they are pretty pricey.

Terry.

I bought a Nilfisk Aero from Screwfix which has proved very good. It has a power take off and the bags are only about a fiver for four.

Should have added, they have a small CamVac extractor at my wood turning club which seems pretty good and is very quiet. Sadly I can't recommend the Record RSDE1 I have as its very noisy.

I find power take off (or auto on/off as they say) to be very very useful, I'd not buy one without it. Just make sure the socket is rated for your most powerful tool. My Draper WDV1400 is but that's an old model. Also try to get one that can use a nylon filter bag so you don;t need to use paper dust bags. Such a filter covers the usual paper filter and lets the debris fall into the drum.

Thanks for the advice. I looked up the Power Take Off feature and ended up ordering the Einhell TE-VC (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kitchen-Einhell ... um+cleaner)
Being able to plug the power tool of choice into the vacuum will be a big bonus, I tend to do odd jobs at various properties and this will make it all much simpler and faster. Also went and ordered myself some clamps and some little horizontal toggle clamps to make a table saw edge jointing jig. Will post pics of the build. Also a review of the Vac.

Alexfn":e9x5eq06 said:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nilfisk-DIY-20T-Multi-Vacuum/dp/B0054OEAFS/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452376593&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=alto+multy+t

Id say probably the best for around that price apparently mirka vacs are just rebrands of these. Easy to get hoses for that will fit most tools
nop.. these are just budget ones which really really really lack quality, and are not what Mirka is rebranding ,the real stuff is Nilfisk Aero stuff which is the same as mirka ones.
was in a market for a shop vac myself recently and went with a Henry type for the cheap hepa bags/ really quiet system and robust design oh and also for savings in electricity bill , I kinda wish I would have power take off tho.

There is a henry with a power take off. Cant remember the model number i had one from axminster but the lack of on board storage drove me nuts so i got rid of it for a festool one.

sitefive is correct, the multi 20T doesn't get very good reviews. The Nilfisk Aero 26-21 does however and is available rebadged by Milwaukee and Metabo albeit at a higher price! There are at least two other vacs with the same spec but a slightly different case design that I believe may also come out of the same factory in Hungary?

woodpig":1o2jbpuk said:
The Nilfisk Aero 26-21 does however and is available rebadged by Milwaukee and Metabo albeit at a higher price! There are at least two other vacs with the same spec but a slightly different case design that I believe may also come out of the same factory in Hungary?

Just had a look at this. The 26 model is slightly larger and has a couple more trick bits than the 21. One of which is a semi-self cleaning filter option which appeals to me for mid job cleans.

The best price I can find is Machine Mart £139 (The 21 model is £100) https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/nilfisk ... v-aero-26/

That's not a bad price although I got mine on special offer at the time for £115 at Screwfix. The blow function also comes in handy at times.

If you register with Machine Mart they will occasionally email special offers on most of their stock
Reducing prices to pre VAT

Done a bit of digging and it seems although they all look very similar the specs are not all the same. The nilfisk has 210mbar suction while the mirka has 250mbar. I think thats the most ive seen pretty sure my festool vac is 240mbar.

Im sure 210mbar is fine tho. I have one of those power take off vacs from lidl the suction isnt the best..ive had it about 4 years. The power take off is now intermittent but the vac just keeps going despite my best efforts to kill it.. It takes some abuse and just keeps going

Back