Small cyclone for shop vac cart

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdust=manglitter

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on making a cart for my new shop vac (from Lidl - very pleased with it). Has anyone bought one of these two cheap cyclones from eBay...

24a6cb68235f60e3c0315ef450f2b3d8.png

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plastic-Dust- ... 2359219381

6f7d7dffa7f9f3d0aeb60afc23400a7b.png

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plastic-Dust- ... Sw8gVX9KWv

They are both pretty cheap, but are they for a reason? Based on the shape I would guess that the first one might be more efficient, am I right in thinking this?

I think i bought one of the second pic from our very own Steve Maskery when he was able to get a job lot. Been very pleased with it and it is on a collection box attached to my lidl vac from a previous batch last year.

Last year, I bought an AntiStatic version of the one in the first picture (Dust Commander DLX...I think) I have it connected between a Festool dust extractor and my power tools.
It works well with a 50mm hose from the vac to the cyclone and then a 36mm hose from the cyclone to whatever power tool I'm using.

Only thing I had to do was use a couple of lengths of PVC pipe to let me connect all my tools to it as they all have different size hoses, PIA (the tool hoses not the cyclone)

Not sure which to go for!? They are both pretty identical in dimensions, not too different in price, but not sure which would be most efficient. It probably doesn't even make much noticeable difference though :?

I have one similar to the bottom one which I use for clearing out he ash in the wood burner.
I use it to prevent the ash mixing with the sawdust in the Thein baffle dust collector. It's just easier to use the hose from the dust collector into the cyclone, which has it's own bucket & collection hose than have a separate system.
So in effect I have a two systems in tandem. Edit: 3 part system if you count the bag in the shop vac.
I didn't notice the difference in height of the entry port until you posted both photos. Whether that affects the efficiency I have no idea.

I have one of the lower pic type sitting on my shelf due to upgrading, but its a bit far from you right now.
As I recall, they were about 40 quid? buy one, on a small diameter hose setup they are extremely good.

As I said, I bought the AntiStatic version which is black.The cyclone maintains the electrical continuity of the system when used with anti static hoses. The majority of the materials that I cut and rout are man made materials, so static build up can be an issue otherwise.

I think I paid £37 for mine and i have it mounted to a plywood dropbox and the complete set up un assembles and fits inside a Festool Sys5 box when not in use. The complete set up works great when I'm out on site in a customer's home.

Back