recommend me a bevel chisel set

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stef

Established Member
Reaction score
i need to buy some proper tools.
i was considering the stanley dynagrip pro range (circa £50 for 5 chisels)
are they any good, or should i spend my cash elsewhere ?
budget is around £50 and i'd like a at least a 3 piece set.
thank you !

Why not look at Marples they're currently retailing at around £40/£45 for a set of 6, on the net.

mack9110000":1bflqhez said:
Why not look at Marples they're currently retailing at around £40/£45 for a set of 6, on the net.

problem is, i dont really know what to look for, and in the screwfix catalog, the Irwin marples range from £27 for 4 to £45 for 4...
what is the difference between those sets ? is it just the handle ?

Well they're not Japanese, but they hold an edge and they take a knock.Plus they're reasonably cheap!

For that money you could be a superior set of Kirschen (two cherries) chisels in a box from axminster - superb chisels for the money.

ByronBlack wrote:
For that money you could be a superior set of Kirschen (two cherries) chisels in a box from axminster - superb chisels for the money
I was just about to offer the same advice but BB beat me to it - Rob

Also, if you don't want to spend the full £50 on the Kirschen Box Set, they do a nice set of Butt chisels which are cheaper but use the same blades. This is the set I currently use - they are superb.

Taken from the axminster site

"Kirschen Butt Chisel Set

Butt chisels made with Kirschen's own superior steel. This set of four, consists of 6, 12, 20 & 25mm, each one is 160mm long including the dyed beech wood handle."

160mm long including the handle, is that not a bit short?

I would be interested to see how these are in use, to me they look very short, with a very stumpy handle,
I bought a set of the red and amber handled marples, I had to sharpen at about 35degrees to make them hold a good edge for a while, but apart from that they are fine

Butt chisels are very short. I'm not sure where one would use a butt chisel over a full length chisel. So when I bought some chisels (AI) I plumped for the 'standard' bevel edge pattern. I did get one butt chisel but I don't like it much - especially as it feels a bit awkward to hold having a small tapered handle doesn't help. Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

Ike

'Tis all a matter of balance and feel. If you like to hold your chisel down near the bevel, f'rinstance, then you don't want a load of handle and blade waving about above your gripping point putting things off balance. Also handy in confined spaces. If you like to grasp your chisel firmly by the handle and pile onto it with a big hammer, you're definitely not going to like butt chisels. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf wrote,

If you like to grasp your chisel firmly by the handle and pile onto it with a big hammer, you're definitely not going to like butt chisels.

That'll be ole soup plate 'ands 'ere then. I've been picking up the right tool but at the wrong time (or vice-versa). Thanks for the tip Alf.

Ike

Back