Recommend a mask and protective glasses...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScaredyCat

Established Member
Reaction score
Not to hide my face, no.

Most of my woodwork is done out in the garden, I do the occasional bit of indoor work but it's usually planing, practicing cutting etc.

Yesterday I was out working on the wife's desk and kicking up quite a bit of dust, only wearing glasses. With the heat, sweat etc it was all sticking to me, the glasses were litterally filling up with a sweat sawdust mix.

So I need to find something that'll work properly, is easy to use and wont break the bank. I tries a JSP half mask and that gave me real issues with the filters falling off. Obviously doing something wrong but it has no instructions at all. It was also uncomfortable and I'd often not bother with it.

For the glasses I tried some slim ones - they are comfortable and lightweight and fit fine, until I put on my over ear defenders and then they slowly move forward, becoming a PITA.

So, I'm asking for your recommendations, please?

The problem is that what works for one person may not work for another; beards, glasses, workshop conditions, length of hair, etc, it all has a bearing.

Axminster offer a decent range of Personal Protection Equipment at reasonable prices, personally I get on well with the 3M stuff but I know others who really struggle with it. To your point about about safety glasses not working with ear defenders, that's not unusual, so where ever possible I try and get everything from one manufacturer in the hope they've integrated their range.

ScaredyCat":181c9ljs said:
... I'm asking for your recommendations, please?
Not wanting to spend £600 on the 3M mask and belt worn filter I bought a Trend AirShield mask for lathe work. I wear it over my glasses, and the airflow keeps them condensation free. Last week it was making me feel cooler than the actual temperature in my workshop. As a musician I’ve already got moulded ear plugs and ear phones, and use those to protect my hearing.

3M mask with filters rated for the rubbish you throw into the air if you work with MDF (because if you don't check the filter's rating you might as well just suck on the hose instead of using a shop vac to be honest), Peltor ear defenders because they're what I was used to using on the range and if you think lunchbox planer thicknessers are loud then you haven't heard .338 lapua magnum yet, and I got a lightweight pair of safety glasses that I use for when I'm working with something that might chuck chunks of stuff stuff at me like the bandsaw or the angle grinder (they're rated for impact and penetration resistance rather than dust sealing) and a pair of properly silly-looking goggles for stuff like the sander or router that tends to generate your fines and atomised carbohydrates.

The lightweight glasses are pretty awful if there's much dust involved:
IMG_2041a.jpg

The goggles are much better for that:
IMG_0657a.jpg

Both look very silly, but not nearly as silly as when you take them off.
IMG_1585a.jpg

The first time, I didn't spot a mirror and went down the shops looking like that...

I would like an air fed visor but not yet able to spend the cash for the model I want. Meantime my suggestions are
Peltor ear defenders because the cushions are excellent and will seal over the legs of glasses as well as any type can. Performance top class. I've also used them for hours on firing ranges.
For half masks, some options. Trend have a new model on the market that is small and has ridged shields over its oval pleated filters. It fitted well enough that I bought one. I wear glasses btw.
Also good is the sundstrom sr100. I like the soft silicon material, don't quite so much like the single central filter - old gasmask style.
The 3m in the previous post is made of relatively stiff material and I don't find it good across the bridge of the nose. They have a new premium model now made of softer silicon to address this.
Eyes are tricky. I wear specs and have NEVER found a pair of overglasses or goggles i can live with. The only answer is prescription specs. Not cheap but less expensive than any designer pair. Non prescription are cheap enough that you should buy something high quality and comfortable. Wrap round offer good protection but they trap dust and you sweat inside them so not as clever as you might think. The key is to try them on. I can't judge comfort from the appearance.

Back