• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Reamer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to make a reamer for reaming out a wooden hole because I don't have a drill bit of quite the right size. It will only remove .2 of a mm at most.

I am going to use the same silver steel that will eventually go in it. I know that I need to heat treat it but does it need tempering afterwards?

The material removal will be minimal, and I expect to only use it a couple of times for this task.

Jelly

Established Member
Reaction score
Tempering will reduce the chances of it having a brittle fracture, and if it's quite a slim diameter, is a good idea.

For a bigger diameter hole, you'll probably get away without it.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
it is 10mm. I dont think it is too big a job to temper it so will do so.

AES

Established Member
Reaction score
Personally marcros, I don't think I'd bother - 10 mm OD, only 0.2 mm to take off, and only a once-use only tool? Nah.

I Doubt you'll have any problem without tempering under all the above circumstances, but as you say, you can if you like, then at least then you'll have a tool that you COULD happily use again (but will probably never happen).

So when someone gets the job of clearing out "all Grandad's old junk down the shed" in about 100 years time they'll say "I wonder what the silly old so-and-so made THAT thing for?"). :)

Sideways

Established Member
Reaction score
0.2mm of wood is very little to remove.
For a one off, could you not do something with e.g. an undersized wooden dowel wrapped in abrasive and spun carefully in the hole ?

Sideways

Established Member
Reaction score
Or if there's a silver steel pin going in, make it an inch overlength , chamfer one end, put two file cuts in that end to create cutting edges and slowly drill it in.
Tap out, machine off the cutting and back ends then tap back in.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
Or if there's a silver steel pin going in, make it an inch overlength , chamfer one end, put two file cuts in that end to create cutting edges and slowly drill it in.
Tap out, machine off the cutting and back ends then tap back in.
That is exactly what I was going to do, but I hadn't considered doing it as a single tool. good idea! If I ever make a second tool, I can do the same and not risk lumbering future generations with trying to work out why I made this tool!

I say 0.2mm because I can get to that with a drill and I thought that a reamer was supposed to remove very little. I have to admit, the YouTube I saw was click spring who was using it to ream a hole in brass. The hole is currently 9.5mm I think. I am drilling/reaming on a wood lathe so in theory it should be fairly true.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
0.2mm? Can't you just wrap a bit of abrasive around a dowel?
yes, it is an option and may be the easiest one (that I hadn't considered before this thread). the pin that is going through it needs hardening though, so in part it is a practice run of the process for that.

jameskidd

Reaction score
You could grind your drill to cut a larger drill hole by making the drill point a little off centre which works well.

TheTiddles

Established Member
Reaction score
yes, it is an option and may be the easiest one (that I hadn't considered before this thread). the pin that is going through it needs hardening though, so in part it is a practice run of the process for that.
What are you making that needs a hardened pin into a soft material like wood? The pin will just push the wood out the way

Aidan