re-sharpening saw blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andys wood shed

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

As a new member I look forward to enjoying this forum, from what i've seen the members contributions and information provided is outstanding. Keep up the good work.

I would like some advice on re-honing saw blades between re-grinds. Is this worth while and which face should I attempt.

Andy

Hi Andy--welcome!

I use diamond hones. Most of my blades and shaper cutters are carbide and so the diamond hones are necessary. I also touch up my band saw blades using them.

Axminster list some like what I use for the shaper and saw blades. Don't know where the best price is on your side of the world, but those kind are handy in the shop.

Take care, Mike

i bought a small diamond stick at an exhibition, and having not
used my table saw for a while thought i'd see what happens before
i fitted a new blade.

first i cleaned it with the cmt blade and router cleaner, which was
very good, surprising the gunk and resin stuck there.
then a couple of quick rubs with the diamond. making sure i am
going the right way on the too,. just did the front of each tooth.
marked the blade where i started in marker pen, and went one way, then
marked the other side, and started again. all you are trying to do
is make sure that the front and sides have square edges to each
other again. no real hard work involved,
and the results were surprising. but not sure whether that was the
cleaning or the honing. :?

paul :wink:

Engineer One wrote:
cmt blade and router cleaner

Someone on a course once told me of very cheap stuff (might have been something like thinners, but I don't think it was) to use to clean resin of saw blades and cutters, but being a bit of a forgetful cheapskate numptie, I can't remember. Any ideas? - Rob

some people recommend oven cleaner, but i think
the problem with it is that it is so aggressive it
will eat your hands unless you are properly guarded.

others might have other ideas.

Hi,

Try Mr Muscle window and glass cleaner, its what I use all the time that and a brass brush to get the stubborn bits off.

Pete

Hi, have you tried Astonish kitchen cleaner. It comes as a paste which contains a mild abrasive and can be thinned with water. I usually apply it with an old toothbrush and never has a problem getting rid of resin deposits on saws and cutters.

Handyman

Cellulose thinners is pretty good for getting rid of organic build up - evapourates very quickly as well so no worries about leaving any behing on the blade or with it rusting.

Thanks guys for your tips on cleaning solutions keep them coming

don't know where the oven cleaner, mr musle or astonish are kept and don't want to ask as SWMBO might get the wrong idea and think I am going to start to do domestic duties :lol:

Andy

engineer one":3vlzhp00 said:
ok so go to a pound shop, or similar, they will save your
embarrassment :oops: :oops:

Any idea how much they will cost :lol: :lol:

Andy

AW SHUCKS WHAT IS A pound SHOP :twisted: :twisted: :roll:

actually astonish does seem to be more available in the cheap shops

Cheers Engineer One

just ordered some cmt blade and router cutter cleaner on your recommendation let you know how i get on

Andy

andys wood shed":13xq35a2 said:
Cheers Engineer One

just ordered some cmt blade and router cutter cleaner on your recommendation let you know how i get on

Andy

Sounds like someone chickened out of asking about the oven cleaner :wink: :lol:

engineer one":153z31x2 said:
i bought a small diamond stick at an exhibition, and having not
used my table saw for a while thought i'd see what happens before
i fitted a new blade.

first i cleaned it with the cmt blade and router cleaner, which was
very good, surprising the gunk and resin stuck there.
then a couple of quick rubs with the diamond. making sure i am
going the right way on the too,. just did the front of each tooth.
marked the blade where i started in marker pen, and went one way, then
marked the other side, and started again. all you are trying to do
is make sure that the front and sides have square edges to each
other again. no real hard work involved,
and the results were surprising. but not sure whether that was the
cleaning or the honing. :?

I've been cutting a fair bit of MFC recently and it dulls tools very quickly. Would a 'quick rub' with one of these diamond hones be good enough to restore a clean cut, assuming I don't let the blade get too bad in the first place? Or am I more likely to end up knackering my blade?

George_N":18d9enuj said:
I've been cutting a fair bit of MFC recently and it dulls tools very quickly. Would a 'quick rub' with one of these diamond hones be good enough to restore a clean cut, assuming I don't let the blade get too bad in the first place? Or am I more likely to end up knackering my blade?
The blade will eventually degrade as you hone it (the tendency beiing to round the faces of the teeth), so one or two honings is possibly the limit. With trade cutting it's simply not worth spending the time, especially when you are talking about 72 or 96 tooth blades.

Scrit

Back