Re-sharpen or buy new

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should only ever need to do the face of the tooth, much the same as when you sharpen router bits

I had a couple of Freud blades re-sharpened, then I bought one of Doug's blades. Now I honestly don't know if the Freud blades are considered 'disposable'.

Same size blade, same amount of teeth (and no, the Freud blade isn't 'far away')

Attachments

• .jpg
    .jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 46
I had a couple of Freud blades re-sharpened, then I bought one of Doug's blades. Now I honestly don't know if the Freud blades are considered 'disposable'.

Same size blade, same amount of teeth (and no, the Freud blade isn't 'far away')
Forgive me.

Who's Doug?

Freud are aimed at the DIY / prosumer Market -good blades but small size tips.

When I was running a joinery shop I bought Leuco blades that had big teeth like your pic. They were sent for sharpening, probably at about 2 month intervals. I'm not sure how manybsharpenings were possible....but quite a few, well over a dozen.

Nicely old fashioned though - they even sent me the blade before I'd paid for it, the bill followed a week later :)

Do you get the same finish with Doug's blade? I find the Freuds give an exceptionally fine finish, and cut very well, but I have had two blades and lost three teeth because of small bits of off cut falling back into the blade somehow (never really figured how it happens cross cutting). The delicate teeth and tip make them weaker. Not only did the teeth break off, but the blade twisted at the tip. I just grind the remains back to the main part of the blade. They have lasted years, still cutting really well
Would be interested trying Doug's blades they look substantial. I like supporting retailers like that. Traditional.

Do you get the same finish with Doug's blade? I find the Freuds give an exceptionally fine finish, and cut very well, but I have had two blades and lost three teeth because of small bits of off cut falling back into the blade somehow (never really figured how it happens cross cutting). The delicate teeth and tip make them weaker. Not only did the teeth break off, but the blade twisted at the tip. I just grind the remains back to the main part of the blade. They have lasted years, still cutting really well
Would be interested trying Doug's blades they look substantial. I like supporting retailers like that. Traditional.
The only serious TS accident amongst people I know was a detached tooth bouncing out (from under the crown guard) and hitting the saw operator in the eye. It had to be surgically extracted and he was lucky not to lose his sight.
Losing 3 teeth looks like either you are doing something very wrong or you are using a very defective bade in need of serious saw doctoring, or scrapping. The first tooth should have been a warning!

Losing 3 teeth looks like either you are doing something very wrong or you are using a very defective bade in need of serious saw doctoring, or scrapping. The first tooth should have been a warning!
Mitre saw, cross cut. I'm not really doing anything wrong, but now do something to reduce the possibility of it re-occurring. I see it as a design weakness with the blades when stressed in a particular way. Both blades were fairly new and not apparently defective in any way before it happened. Freud never got back to me when I questioned them. I'm not sure exactly what happens, I don't remember the precise details of what wood I was cutting, nothing exotic, no nails. It is associated with lifting the blade out of the cut before the blade stops when there is a small off cut which can somehow fall back into the blade, but the blade is moving up, so never sure what happened. I think the off cut is flicked up into the guard, drops back down, but then is caught by the blade. I just make sure I let the blade stop before lifting it. I'm quite happy to continue using the saw and blade, but letting it stop before I lift it.

A reminder to keep your eye protection in place
Yes!!! Most of my stupid accidents happen in the garden. It's a dangerous place!!! I have sliced my eyeball, often get things in my eyes. gashed my head a couple of times, gash in my arm, lost a finger nail. broken rib twice. back injuries, I have instructed my wife, if she sees me in the garden without eye protection to hit me with a stick!

Yes!!! Most of my stupid accidents happen in the garden. It's a dangerous place!!! I have sliced my eyeball, often get things in my eyes. gashed my head a couple of times, gash in my arm, lost a finger nail. broken rib twice. back injuries, I have instructed my wife, if she sees me in the garden without eye protection to hit me with a stick!
That explains all of your incidents! Or is it accidents? 😂

With your luck you would turn as she swung and get hit in the eye.

Pete

ill try them they sound great and fairly close. I currently use sawmatic in Telford. mainly because they have a van pickup in Stoke one day a week. they were far superior to the local sharpener tbh. I've had mixed results from saw doctors tbh. some were nearly as good as new. note nearly as I always feel new is the best. I guess they grind them finely and at the correct angles with a tensioned plate. I've had some blades that would cut trapezoids!
Hi, did you try those guys in Chester. Wondered how you got on. You mentioned a local guy you used to use, just wondered who they were. I used Emerson supplies in Stoke for my router bits.

Back