Re: Lathe problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Garmin
Just for reference you dont need to knock anything out when you want to remove chuck/centres etc
Just wind the handwheel so the quill goes into the tailstock and the centre will be ejected...using the screw..
In normal use you should never remove the quill from the tailstock
Ian

flh801978":1eh98q2n said:
Garmin
Just for reference you dont need to knock anything out when you want to remove chuck/centres etc
Just wind the handwheel so the quill goes into the tailstock and the centre will be ejected...using the screw..
In normal use you should never remove the quill from the tailstock
Ian

One little caveat to that, some engineering Morse tapered accessories have a short taper and don't quite have enough length to provide the interference for the ejection to work on some lathes if they are sized to expect a full tang length part, I've a couple that I've had to fit a bolt in the tail end to provide that extra 4-5mm of length.
tapermod.jpg

Attachments

• tapermod.jpg
    tapermod.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 474
flh801978":2huhnd3h said:
Garmin
Doesn't that depend on the lathe? On the CL3/4 by far the quickest and simplest way of getting centres or chucks out of the tailstock is to use a knocking rod.

andygc":2il54cfk said:
flh801978":2il54cfk said:
Garmin
Doesn't that depend on the lathe? On the CL3/4 by far the quickest and simplest way of getting centres or chucks out of the tailstock is to use a knocking rod.

Not all lathes eject the centre when wound right in my small one does but my CL3 does not

Andygc
I was being specific to his lathe so not to confuse him
His lathe doesn’t have a through hole to use a long boring bit so you carry on turning the handwheel all the way in and it auto ejects

Latest posts

Back