Re Fettling TS 200

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Al

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Considering buying this table saw when back in stock.
Would I need to carry out the "Fettling" on a new saw? #-o #-o #-o

P.S. Anyone know of any for sale?

Big Al":16dliyh6 said:
Would I need to carry out the "Fettling" on a new saw?

Any piece of machinery that has been crated half way around the world is likely to need some fettling. I expect it would arrive in bits, anyway, the table extensions and sliding table will need setting up.
It's not a difficult process, but it helps if you have a set of feeler gauges and it all has to be done in the right order.
It's well worth the time taken to do so, though, as the difference between a well-set-up saw and one that isn't is quite noticeable.

S

I have the TS 200 and I would recommend making a zero clearance insert plate, I made mine in aluminium, it is also worth looking at fettling or replacing the fence and considering adjusting the dust collection.

There are lots of really helpful threads on fettling the TS 200 or the KITY 419, which it is a clone of.

I like the saw and have had a lot of fun making a workstation for the basic unit. I still need to make a 45 degree zero clearance plate, a cross cut sled and an overhead crown guard with dust extraction. A fettlers work is never done. (hammer)

Alternatively you could just take it out of the box and start cutting things with it! :D

To be honest if you consider replacing the fence, which might cost close to £100 or more - you might want to consider the next one up - the Axminster Hobby Series BTS10ST Table Saw. It has more features and good reviews using it "as is" with little fettling required. I came very close to buying this model myself before deciding to make my own with extra features.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-hobby-series-bts10st-table-saw-prod886278/

rafezetter":3stvefmk said:
To be honest if you consider replacing the fence, which might cost close to £100 or more - you might want to consider the next one up - the Axminster Hobby Series BTS10ST Table Saw. It has more features and good reviews using it "as is" with little fettling required. I came very close to buying this model myself before deciding to make my own with extra features.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-hobby-series-bts10st-table-saw-prod886278/
The snag is this model has a noisy brush motor - I think (?) Whereas the TS 200 has a quieter induction motor.

I agree Roger, I would rather have the induction motor.

I have a very accurate Incra Mitre 1000 mitre guide which I would prefer to use on the TS-200 as the mitre guide accuracy seems to be a failing on all lower end table saws.

I am thinking of getting the TS-200 then, before constructing it, removing the table and having the slots machine to fit my Incra guide.
After all the reviews I have read re table saws, apart from the noisy brush motors the guide slot accuracy is the most complained about item.

Why don't manufactures come to an agrreemnet that is advantages to all saw users and make them with the standard 3/4 x 3/8(18 x 9mm) mitre slot???

I have just emailed Axminster to ask how easy it would be to remove the table. As I live in Sheffield I am sure I can find a machine shop willing to undertake the job.

Add another vote in favour of induction motors!

Big Al":24c43kru said:
I am thinking of getting the TS-200 then, before constructing it, removing the table and having the slots machine to fit my Incra guide.

Wouldn't it be easier and probably cheaper to just get the same machine shop to machine you some runners to fit the TS-200's slots? I realise that the Incra runner has adjustments to snug up the fit, but if you machined to a particular slot size in the first place you shouldn't need them.

(And adding a couple of circular cut-outs would allow you much the same option as the Incra standard one, from what I can see online.)

I agree with the induction motor vote.

You have lost me with the machining slots!!!!!
I intend to get the table of the TS-200 slots altered to fit my Incra.
I think getting a new Incra runner would probably work out more expensive,
also If the table is altered, I would be able to use other proprietory guides as
most use the same slot design/dimensions.

Big Al":13e3n4ux said:
I agree Roger, I would rather have the induction motor.

I have a very accurate Incra Mitre 1000 mitre guide which I would prefer to use on the TS-200 as the mitre guide accuracy seems to be a failing on all lower end table saws.

After all the reviews I have read re table saws, apart from the noisy brush motors the guide slot accuracy is the most complained about item.

Why don't manufactures come to an agrreemnet that is advantages to all saw users and make them with the standard 3/4 x 3/8(18 x 9mm) mitre slot???

I have just emailed Axminster to ask how easy it would be to remove the table. As I live in Sheffield I am sure I can find a machine shop willing to undertake the job.

Al, the table can be machined but I would be very careful as I seemed to remember something about this in the dim and distance past and found this thread axminster-ts200-would-an-incra-mitre-fence-work-with-it-t34550.html
It appears that there is not much meat on these tables and the depth of cast iron can vary. So I would check carefully before you go ahead because the top maybe ruined.

Cheers

Mike

Back