Ray Iles Bevel Edged Chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe

Established Member
Reaction score
I see that Ray Iles is selling his own make of bevel edged chisels at a very reasonable price. Has anyone used them? I didn't see any mention of them on the recent bench chisel poll.

Joel

I tried to order some of them months ago. Sam Iles told me that he would send me an email when they have finished the next batch, and I have not heard from him since then. They look like nice chisels.
-Andy

Joe":375ff0xh said:
I see that Ray Iles is selling his own make of bevel edged chisels at a very reasonable price. Has anyone used them? I didn't see any mention of them on the recent bench chisel poll.

Joel

I got some. They're alright.

They're thin in all directions, which is to say the 1/2inch chisel is a 1/2inch my buttocks - but it does also mean that the bevel is oh so slender - certainly the nicest I've ever seen by about the size of a really big pike. They're also light. Ray has chosen an odd join thing going on between the blade and handle which are a tang, but look like a socket and it doesn't quite work out cosmetically. The handles are London pattern and boxwood and nice - though a bit chunky for my liking - especially for the smaller sizes. In short they're a bit hit and miss - fortunately they hit in all the places important for a sunday-best chisel to hit.

Joe,
The blades for these chisels a are made by Ray’s brother Barry who now runs their father’s (Ashley Isles) business. So you can get the same blade in huge burbinger handles from them. The ‘Ray’ versions of the chisels come in a very good range of sizes, have backs that are flat or very slightly concave and hold an edge extremely well. The handle sizes are proportional to the blade size so I find the balance to be pretty good, although some sizes have a better balance than others. In my opinion the L-N is a better chisel but the Ray Isles are not far behind and exceedingly good value.
Jon.

Chisel%20picture%202.JPG

Latest posts

Back