R. E.Ward bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stug

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
Just got the chance to buy a bandsaw made by R. E. Ward. Looks like a hefty beast. Anyone have any dealings with one? Can't see anything on line about them.
Thanks Steve

This one!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230220-190835.png
    Screenshot_20230220-190835.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Made in Norwich!
Going to risk it, hopefully it's as good as I'm told!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230220-211857.png
    Screenshot_20230220-211857.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230220-211845.png
    Screenshot_20230220-211845.png
    974.8 KB · Views: 0
Looks quite old. I would say before the generic Tiwanese 14'' machines that came under so many brand names. 4" depth of cut would be limiting but Its likely a well made machine. Back then the point of having a bandsaw was more for cutting shapes than serious resawing.

Stug,
Fences were not common on earlier bandsaws. I had a 14'' 6'' depth of cut saw made early 90tes without a fence. Clamped a bit of wood down when required if you had to go there

Regards
John

Thanks John, guess a bit of clamped wood, would work, looked like it would take greater than 4". It is (I think) cheapish though. £200, or is that not a decent price?

200 quid wont get you a lot of bandsaw today. While that is a well built saw and looks in good condition you have to ask if it will suit your needs. What will you be wanting to do with it. Funny thing looking at the pics I cant see what limits the depth of cut to 4''. Have you spoken to the seller. The horsepower is another item to consider. The more the better. May be worth a look at least before making your mind up.
Regards
John

Yes, yes and yes.
Never had a band saw and I don't do a great deal but feel limited by not being able to cut curves. The idea of taking a (small) log and ripping it into strips without knowing what you will find fascinates me. Then using your own sourced wood sounds great. I need to go look at it, take a couple of pieces of wood and just see how it copes I guess. I do like old, robust machines hence my kity thicknesser/planer.
Thanks again
Steve

Latest posts

Back