Bandsaw upgrade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

likeakite

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to upgrade my Charnwood W730 bandsaw (selling it in the next couple of weeks). I'm looking at either the Laguna 14/12 Bandsaw or the Record Power Sabre 350. Has anyone got any advice/opinions on these or other options?

Thanks in advance

I have the Hammer N2 35, to some extent because it was easier for me to buy here in Italy than the Record.
It has not disappointed me in any way.
It's more expensive than the equivalent Record, and possibly made in the same factory, but it's a great saw. It doesn't come with a base, but it took me a few hours to knock one up with scraps and it has done everything brilliantly so far.
I wouldn't be without it.
The only complaint would be too much grease on the bits that needed grease during transport.

I have the Hammer N2 35, to some extent because it was easier for me to buy here in Italy than the Record.
It has not disappointed me in any way.
It's more expensive than the equivalent Record, and possibly made in the same factory, but it's a great saw. It doesn't come with a base, but it took me a few hours to knock one up with scraps and it has done everything brilliantly so far.
I wouldn't be without it.
The only complaint would be too much grease on the bits that needed grease during transport.
Thanks for your reply. I've not seen one in the UK but if it's under the Felder brand I dare say it is quality.

I got the laguna 14bx this year and have been very happy with it. Build quality appears very high, I went for the 14bx over the 14/12 due to the increased power and I could stretch my budget. I've no doubt the 14/12 would be just as good quality so could recommend.

I got the laguna 14bx this year and have been very happy with it. Build quality appears very high, I went for the 14bx over the 14/12 due to the increased power and I could stretch my budget. I've no doubt the 14/12 would be just as good quality so could recommend.
Thanks for your feedback. I believe Yandles have the Laguna's in their showroom so will drive over and have a look. Many thanks

I have the smaller Record 250, done sterling service for many years, I really can't fault it.
I thanks for your feedback. I think I need to go and get hands on. It may come down to after sales service and ease of use, changing blades etc

Thanks all :) I've had a look on the Yandles website and see they have the Laguna range and the Record Power Sabres in stock. They have a Record Power bandsaw 'focus weekend' in November. It's £12 to attend the hour long event so I'll sign up for that and have a look at the Laguna range whilst I'm there. Sometimes the planets just line up.

I've had my Sabre 350 for a couple of years or more now and very happy with it - dust collection could be better, but I think many bandsaws suffer a similar problem. Don't know where in the known universe that you're located, but you'd be welcome come and take a look if you're anywhere near Grantham.

G.

The Centauro CO series is one of the only foolproof designs out there, in terms of adjustability...
if your talking about an upgrade and not some auld thing with tin wheels.

I've had my Sabre 350 for a couple of years or more now and very happy with it - dust collection could be better, but I think many bandsaws suffer a similar problem. Don't know where in the known universe that you're located, but you'd be welcome come and take a look if you're anywhere near Grantham.

G.
Hi Gordon, thanks for your kind offer however, I'm more than a bike ride away in Somerset :)

The Centauro CO series is one of the only foolproof designs out there, in terms of adjustability...
if your talking about an upgrade and not some auld thing with tin wheels.
I've just had a look at the specs; it's not a make I was aware of. Very nice piece of kit. I really can't justify the cost of the single phase one unfortunately, as I need a large drum sander on top of the cost of the bandsaw. Thanks though !

Used ones in good nick can go for about a grand, if you wait.
Usually have 3hp 3 phase motors, which are "dual voltage"
so would need a way of sorting that.
I have a similar motor on my Griggio, and run it from a VFD.
Depending on your situation, you may want a fancier VFD than my 100 quid cheapo,
to get the wheels stopped within 10 seconds.

Other than a Centauro...one with a foot mounted motor, that is,
then you'd better cross yer fingers if you're wanting a machine running perfect,
and what won't have any surprises long term.

Don't get me wrong though, everything is adjustable if you want it to be. ;)
SAM_6913.JPG

Just spent an hour trying to clean the grease off a new Laguna 14BX using window cleaner 😭. Top of the table wasn’t too bad but the painted sides and mitre slot were a nightmare.
Happy new bandsaw & thanks for buying one - My view is I'd rather factories put too much grease on than less, I can only recall maybe 4 rust issues on any cast table delivery in last 5 years - but yup it can take a bit of cleaning to remove in the mitre slots when it has dried solid - WD40 is generally my go to when needing to degrease a new machine table, plus small fine wire brush or toothbrush to make sure it's all clear in the mitre slot.
Cheers, Nick

Happy new bandsaw & thanks for buying one - My view is I'd rather factories put too much grease on than less, I can only recall maybe 4 rust issues on any cast table delivery in last 5 years - but yup it can take a bit of cleaning to remove in the mitre slots when it has dried solid - WD40 is generally my go to when needing to degrease a new machine table, plus small fine wire brush or toothbrush to make sure it's all clear in the mitre slot.
Cheers, Nick
Thanks for the tips Nick. Looks a stunning bit of kit and can’t wait to get started.

if grease is really dry and stubbon, spray /soak with WD for an hour or so then brake cleaner.....does it for me.....

Mr, likeakite.....12£'s to look at and poss use a machine is disgusting.....should be free if they want to sell anything....
who ever Yandles is, it would never get my money........demo's etc is part of the selling process......

I've been doing some more digging, and seemingly there's no get it running in an hour
Centauro CO machine.
What I mean is the older CO machines don't feature the grooved wheels, like the newer ones.
(at least some of which featuring mitre slot)

sega-a-nastro-CENTAURO-CO-600-new-3-600x800.jpg

as it seems many aren't too keen on dressing tires, though there's loads of chances with the old
style vulcanized real rubber, I must've dressed mine about a dozen times, doing some myth-busting, if one might call it that, (concerning the actual profile of the tires)

The vulcanized tires what's featured on on the SCM machines by ACM, what's shifted production from the older Centauro produced Minimax bandsaws destined for the USA, the same machines here going under the formula name.
(so they're worth working with, as they'd serve you well and the rubber prob lasts for a generation)

And it seems the old CO which features the adjustable foot mounted motor, ended production in 1996, as I've seen both the foot mount motor, and the flange mounted one badged that year.

Screenshot-2023-12-10 Lot.png
Screenshot-2023-12-10 Lot(1).png

Screenshot-2023-12-6 Brumat Vrtojba d o o .png
CENTAURO CO 1996.jpg

You might make note of the telescopic guidepost on most.
pila-tasmowa-centauro-banzega-tasmowka-biznes-przemysl-555269696.jpg
pila-tasmowa-centauro-banzega-tasmowka-kalwaria-zebrzydowska-sprzedam-555269695.jpg

If you don't see that, then it could likely be the first CO machine,
which seemingly doesn't feature any adjustability of the lower wheel,
and if so, then I'd avoid it.
(I only copped that very recently)
s-l1600.jpg

Not many other machines feature that foot mount motor,
Meber and Multico would be two other manufacturers featuring that too,
though one would want to give them the double take to see what the differences
are with the presumably more expensive Centauro, i.e cast iron wheels, better guides,
mitre slot to mention the most notable.

multico b600 .jpg
Screenshot-2022-12-10 Meber Bandsaw (SOLD) - YouTube.png

Though all of the nicer Italian saws are worth working on,
but if looking at the 500mm size machines, then I'd sooner pick the heaviest
as the weight, i.e 250kg compared to 200kg, the difference likely be the wheel shafts and
upper wheel assembly.
That might be worth looking into for someone who might wish to sharpen their own blades
or run carbide blades.

Didn't bother seeking exclusively 500mm or even 540mm wheeled machines, or even from other plants all within 10 miles from each other in northern Italy...
as that for size for some is the sweet spot for a smaller workshop, and more often than not, priced accordingly, compared to the 24"/600 wheeled machines which often go for about 500 quid.
VFD for a hundred quid, one must read Bob's tute for that, and yer sorted.

All the best

Tom

Back