Quiet extractor ? doe's one exist .

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone know of a quiet model , I have 2 and when running they sound a bit like jet engines firing up
Only needed for use with a scroll saw so doesent need huge amounts of suction, Only for fine dust.

Seriously look for a karcher or nilfisk commercial vacuum cleaner intended for hospital or hotel use. They make a couple of models that are sub 60dB. I have a nilfisk gd930 and karcher T210. Both have the same design and nothing else i've ever used comes close. Not festool, not Numatic, not camvac and no HVLP extractor.

The one outside is usually quieter.
Sideways makes a good suggestion about the hospital vacs though I find my Festool is quieter than any of the cheap ones I had before.
I think there is something to do with the tone or pitch of the sound rather than just volume, some are just more screamy than others.
The other option is to baffle it by putting it in a box ( with some ventilation ) or ducting the exhaust port away from your work area.

Ollie

Seriously look for a karcher or nilfisk commercial vacuum cleaner intended for hospital or hotel use. They make a couple of models that are sub 60dB. I have a nilfisk gd930 and karcher T210. Both have the same design and nothing else i've ever used comes close. Not festool, not Numatic, not camvac and no HVLP extractor.
I have a household Nilfisk vac that I use indoors and a Nilfisk workshop vac , Are these capable of running for long periods ?

I have one going free it's a hover type model Panasonic I think and it's really quiet... I have look for it tomorrow if your interested.

I have a household Nilfisk vac that I use indoors and a Nilfisk workshop vac , Are these capable of running for long periods ?
I've used my karcher t210 for maybe 5 hours a day on a few occasions. The GD930 for an hour or two at a time.
They use top quality motor / turbines and are well designed so I have no concerns.
Most vacuums rely on an unconstricted airflow for cooling. The only time I used one of them for a 20 minute plus sanding session choked down through a random orbit sander, the thermal trip turned it off and I had to wait for it to cool.
I have an Attix 44 shop vac and that feels noisier on minimum than the other two are running full power. It is a quality of noise, not just the volume. The donut vacs are absolutely optimised to be as unobtrusive as possible used around people. I love 'em because they don't aggravate my tinnitus, unlike say a Dyson which drives me out of the house with my hands over my ears.

A good nilfisk shop vac will have a "bypass motor" which ensures a separate supply of cooling air to the motor at all times so they never overheat but as long as you don't choke them, the commercial vacs are just fine.

I think 8000 hours is about the lifespan of a decent domel vacuum cleaner motor,.so 4-5 years at 5hrs a day, then you replace the motor for less than £100....

Wearing hearing protectors it doesnt matter really. And you should be in the habit of wearing them all the time you are in the workshop.

Besides, they block out the rest of the noise and make it easy to concentrate on the job at hand.

Have a look at the Henry range, I've had a Wendy (no longer made) for about 12 years, when I was looking it was the quietest I found. Ideal for the scrollsaw.

I built a bucket cyclone and use an old dyson dc02. I can't see any dust in the air when using it with my bandsaw. I think pretty much all of the dust is being captured by the cyclone as I can't really see anything in the dyson dust hopper.
The dyson is ok loud, not the quietest but not too bad. You could pick one up, or similar, off freeads pretty cheap.

Henry as suggested is pretty quiet, although its bagged and not sure if it has a hepa filter? The bag will never fill up though with a cyclone in front of it.

It's my ears I am worried about , Not keen on ear defenders. That's why I am after quiet.
id build a soundproof box around it, as long as the air can exhaust out it shouldnt overheat as air comes in when the extractor is on. theres a lot of video on youtube showing different methods. my extractor hooked up to my cnc i reduced the sound by 10 db which is a lot,instead of the flimsy metal sheet to hang the extractor i put it on thick ply and placed thick rubber washers behind the bolts and attached it to the wall, built a box round it with some filters , takes a bit of fiddling and experimentation but its surprising how effective it is, also as others have said the tone can make it sound louder than it is. better quality shopvacs and dust extractors tend to be more quiet . ive just got a twin motor camvac to collect from my planer, its louder than this , but looking online some hoses on the outlet ports reduce the noise, the hooked on wood channel uses one in his workshop and he has advice for sound deadening on this model.

Attachments

• 369972067_7164473573568825_7117279697288159_n.jpg
    369972067_7164473573568825_7117279697288159_n.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 0
Checked these out
can’t find the karcher model for sale and the nilfisk was £2200 or am I looking at the wrong item?

still looking for a shop vac - the quest goes on 🤦‍♂️

Checked these out
can’t find the karcher model for sale and the nilfisk was £2200 or am I looking at the wrong item?

still looking for a shop vac - the quest goes on 🤦‍♂️
I've bought 2 of each over the years. Used for £30 to £50 apiece.

The Karcher isn't made any longer so used is the only option.

The Nilfisk is alive an well.
Model GD930
Model VP930 is a pricier HEPA version of it, possibly even quieter at 42 dBA SPL, and about £350 so not at all cheap but hey, it's cheaper, much quieter and probably better built than a Festool that would set you back a lot more ...

https://www.candorservices.co.uk/ma...isk-vp930-quiet-commercial-tub-vacuum-cleaner

Back