Quiet dust extraction?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

condeesteso

Established Member
Reaction score
My mainissue is the bandsaws, so dust not chips. I have a Record 4000 twin-motor (there's a thread elsewhere and the noise is mentioned, they are loud). I need something fairly compact (small footprint at least), 4" fitting, reasonable capacity. I'm sure that induction motor alone would reduce noise a lot - the Records are brushed motors.
I had a Europac a while ago - the impeller/bag type. It was nice and quiet but dust extraction (even with fine filter) was poor - it was really a chip extractor. Any ideas please?
If you suffer with dust in the workshop there's another tip. Try playing some music - because as we all know, tunes help you breathe more easily.

Hello Douglas,
Not sure how usefull this will be to you but you may be able to adapt or change as you see fit.

I have the camvac single motor extractor it is terrible noisy, so I simply placed the exhaust through the wall and vented outside and the difference in noise is quite amazing, I would estimate its more than 50% quieter and I now find it very livable with. Like you I use it for fine dust extraction more than anything else on the lathe and the bandsaw.
It may be possible to adapt your record in a similar fashion.

Anyways good luck.

Rend.

renderer01":16b831tv said:
Hello Douglas,
Not sure how usefull this will be to you but you may be able to adapt or change as you see fit.

I have the camvac single motor extractor it is terrible noisy, so I simply placed the exhaust through the wall and vented outside and the difference in noise is quite amazing, I would estimate its more than 50% quieter and I now find it very livable with. Like you I use it for fine dust extraction more than anything else on the lathe and the bandsaw.
It may be possible to adapt your record in a similar fashion.

Anyways good luck.

Rend.

If you combine that with a box over it lined with acoustic foam, the noise reduction will be huge.

Jim

Yetloh, yes the record may work well with that setup, unfortunately the camvac wont. Its not rated for continuous use it would overheat according to manufacturer the specs read something like 40 minutes on 30 minutes off, so the box with insulation would make this worse I think.

Rend.

Do you have the space to house it outside somehow in its own little 'shed'. For extra space and less noise I put two chip extractors, compressor and double motor vac in a little lean too with the hoses and starters in workshop. I have the vac and compressor on one of those remote control sockets so I don't have to walk to turn stuff off.

Makes sense to vent or house it outside, except in winter when it will suck out all the warm air.
Maybe some ear protectors, not sure how noisy a band saw is when cutting but they are a good idea with some other machines.

The Record doesn't have an exhaust outlet, I mean it does of course, but it's all around the perimiter of the top housing so capturing that would be tricky.
Outside is an option (means a hole in my very nice wall #-o ) - an idea emerges from this. Record do a slightly smaller one (single motor, I never really use both together) with power take-off. I could site that under a bench in a corner and sound insulate it maybe.
I suppose what I really want is the Record (or similar) with quiet induction motors... maybe that doesn't exist yet they are used all the time in chip extractors, is this to do with flow rate? The chip machines are high volume low pressure, the dust machines the opposite (according to Record).
Has anyone had any success dust collecting using a chip extractor with filter??

Thanks for all the help, and sorry for all the questions.

condeesteso":1s21rxtm said:
The Record doesn't have an exhaust outlet, I mean it does of course, but it's all around the perimiter of the top housing so capturing that would be tricky.
Outside is an option (means a hole in my very nice wall #-o ) - an idea emerges from this. Record do a slightly smaller one (single motor, I never really use both together) with power take-off. I could site that under a bench in a corner and sound insulate it maybe.
I suppose what I really want is the Record (or similar) with quiet induction motors... maybe that doesn't exist yet they are used all the time in chip extractors, is this to do with flow rate? The chip machines are high volume low pressure, the dust machines the opposite (according to Record).
Has anyone had any success dust collecting using a chip extractor with filter??

Thanks for all the help, and sorry for all the questions.

I have the Axi wv1000p ( well rebranded version of this )
http://yorkleen.co.uk/documents/product ... Extractors

TBH it isn't the greatest with 4'' pipe especially connected directly to my thicknesser.

This may or may not be of interest, it is something i'm considering doing :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cKouDIQS7A
A series of vids on modifying a collector. :)

I used a 2hp Axi extractor with a home made thein separator using a metal barrel and the baffle made from ply and M10 studs to space. I then fitted a metal adapter with epoxy at the relevant angle - fair bit of work but makes so much difference. The output is vented to the outside which reduces the noise and hardly anything is ejected. The drum has a slide underneath to place a bag for removal.

Major advantage is the lack of rubbish recycled into the air I breath and the fan unit is mostly pushing air which will reduce wear (I hope).

Good thread, Douglas has asked a question I've been wondering for a while. I need a bucket style extractor - 100mm inlet and induction motor, fine filtering.

I haven't seen anything, TBH I think I'm going to have to make something but a donor motor/fan & housing will have to be sourced first.

I have a record DX4000 and it is noisy, especially as I run both motors simultaneously.
I put mine in a ventilated box with a timer bathroom fan to help keep it a 'bit' cooler. Whenever I turn on the DX4000 the bathroom fan will run for 15 minutes afterwards.
It has been in a box for about 4 years now and I have had no problems with it. I rarely run it for more than 5 to 10 minutes at a time so I'm not too concerned about it overheating.
It considerably reduces the high shriek of the brush motors.
I posted up a similar arrangement for my compressor as that is a noisy little pipper too.
Check it out if you are interested.
air-compressor-noise-solution-t59432.html

Howie

I also have the single motor Camvac and use a hose on the exhaust to reduce noise but it has to be said that doing that does reduce the suction which can be a bit of a problem with a long run.

And as to playing music to reduce the dust........ The naughty step is over there.

First time I've been on the naughty step this year, Graham.
I think Howie's solution looks good - exactly same machine. First I will try boxing it, I have some sound insulating board (it has a name, no idea) lying around so can knock a quick solution up, even have an old fan somewhere.
I am otherwise considering doing exactly the same but getting an RSDE/2A - a bit smaller, single motor (fine for me) but power take-off. Get some longer hose (either way) so I can site the extractor in a corner.
I don't get the feeling the chip extractors with added fine filter are rated much. They are a lot quieter but if they don't work...

Thanks for help.

Record DX5000 is pretty good, big volume and goes down to low microns.

Nothing is going to be that quiet in your shop, unless you have some kind of acoustic hood, then you risk head issues and may lower the extraction rate, and or heat issues.

You could build a little outbuilding to take the extractor, great in summer, as will take hot air out and suck cool in, and all elements could go outside then. Flipside is that in winter, you will take all the heat out your shop.....

Back