Question for Axminster AW10BSB2 owners/users

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lemonjeff

Established Member
Reaction score
If you own or have used one of these table saws with a sliding carriage,
what is the largest size of sheet that can be safely be put on the carraige without extra support?

Jeff

I don't have that saw but I find size of sheet is also affected by the thickness. while you may be able to balance a large sheet of 6mm ply on the table its a different matter if you are cutting up 25mm MDF :!: then its more a question of what you can lift onto the table :wink:

Also the position of the cut has an affect, say you had a 8x2 sheet of board, if you were just trimming the end there would be a lot more overhang than if you were cutting it in half.

Jason

Jason thanks for the reply, I know you cut a lot of sheet and that is what my intended use would be for a table saw with sliding carriage.
Do you break down an 8x4 with a sawboard first?

So lets say 25mm MDF as thats the predominant material I'm going to be using and I what to crosscut an 8x4 into 4x4's as an example,
would the Axminster's Sliding carriage be capable of bearing the weight and keeping the sheet square?

Jeff

Jeff

I think you would struggle a bit. The sliding table is only 500x350mm (ish) so not alot of support of the sheet. The crosscut fence also isn't locked down too well so i few knocks from an 8x4 at 25mm will soon have you cutting out of square.

Jeff,

I have the Fox version which is pretty much the same and while I think it's a great saw for the money, you will need a much more substantial sliding table for handling full sheets.

I can't even lift full sheets, well not 25mm ones anyway!

I find the best compromise is to cut roughly to size wth a circular saw and then finish on the tablesaw. A bit slower I know but I'm not a pro so it doesn't really matter.

Cheers
Mike

jeff, 25mm sheets are really heavy and the sliding table just wouldn't cope with it. I cut a lot of 25mm 10x4 sheets at work on an SCM industrial saw with a 3 metre crosscut bed and you can still see the table flexing with the sheer weight of the board.

jon.

I tend to chop the thicker boards into more easily handled sizes such as 8x2 or 4x4 with a circ saw. The carrage on my Kity will only give me about 800mm of travel. And trying to lift a 25mm sheet at 60kg is not easy if working on your own, what are you making with that thickness, is usually use 18/19mm for carcases and 22mm for door styles & rails.

If you want it as a panel saw then look at waht axminsters list as panel saws not saw benches, it all comes down to how often you will need to be cutting large panels, if doing it day in, day out then a panel saw is the way to go. If its only one or two days a month then you can get round it.

Jason

LyNx":16whv8al said:
Jeff

The crosscut fence also isn't locked down too well so i few knocks from an 8x4 at 25mm will soon have you cutting out of square.

You can improve the fence lock down by chucking the orig lock down bolt, which is soft plastic, and replacing it with something harder.

Peter

peebsa24":1lgxaocr said:
LyNx":1lgxaocr said:
Jeff

The crosscut fence also isn't locked down too well so i few knocks from an 8x4 at 25mm will soon have you cutting out of square.

You can improve the fence lock down by chucking the orig lock down bolt, which is soft plastic, and replacing it with something harder.

Peter
I have done that with mine, luckily I found ne lying about at work :D

I would say that you would not want the material more than 4 feet to the left of the blade, if you want to crosscut accurately using the mitre fence you can cut no more than 2 feet across.

Latest posts

Back