Question about SU tutorials

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SketchUp Guru

Established Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine is looking into some sort of application that would allow me to draw in SU and let others watch on their computers. I don't know where this will end up but if it works, how would you folks feel about a once in awhile meeting to watch me draw? I don't know how hoften I would do it and I'd try to make it short when I do. We had to work out the time zone thing but I don't expect that would be a big deal.

Anyway, do you think it would be worthwhile to try something like that? Would you be willing to load some software on your computer to make it work? I don't know that it would be needed but it might.

Food for thought.

Did someone mention food? Hmmm.... Well, I gotta go now. The dinner bell is ringing. Coming mother! :D

yes movies would be better than live on air.

Dave,

I favour the short movie/video idea. I don't know how practical that is. Maybe you should compile all this into a book add the short videos and sell it like the 3d construction book on the SU site. Just a thought to make you a few shackles. I'd buy it. By the way Steve Maskery is doing a DVD blog, maybe you could bounce some ideas off him. Whatever, I'm glad your sharing your SU knowledge with us. You've been a real Find.
John McM

Dave, there is software already available for microsoft users - Netmeeting.

The success of this type of conferencing is network dependant. It works fine across our corporate intranet and is acceptable over VPN networks. I have done a lot of application training this way and even allows any member of the meeting to take control of any other members PC (with authorisation). I've even used it to install software remotely.

My guess is though that accross the internet response times would vary considerably.

Still might be worth a try though.

Andy

Dave

As part of my job, i teach students to program computers and used a screen capture software package that came free a while back (web or mag) to capture the entire screen whilst I type and develop the interface. The output is a video file that students can watch anytime they want to.

Strikes me that this might be better than a live broadcast when one considers time zones etc.

Also people can download onto their PC and watch whenever they wish

the program is called ScreenCorder

Thanks for the input folks. I'll see about making the videos. I have a screen capture application called Wink which will do the video thing. I have been using it to make screen shots for the long tutorial too.

Problem with doing these videos is I don't have anywhere to put the videos so folks can get them and I would want them to be large enough and high res enough so folks could see what I'm actually doing. I need to figure out how to record some sound so I can talk through it. Or maybe folks would rather I keep my mouth shut.

dave can you give me an idea of how big these videos might be. I could probably host them for you.

I appreciate that WiZeR. I'll have to get a microphone and give one a try to see how big it ends up. I'd like to make the view size large enough so folks could see the details. Might be too big for anyone to download.

Yes but the videos always display so small or so fuzzy that I'm worried needed detail would be lost.

Maybe I just need to make more JPEGs as I'm going along.

Latest posts

Back