Quangsheng No.62 low angle vs No.5 vs No.5 1/2?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be interesting to see if you can get enough clearance with the lower frog,
using the buffer method in a sort of practical way.

I'd guess the reason is simply down to effort, especially for one who hones a rounded bevel of 80 degrees on the cap.

I hope Warren visits soon, have you showed him that old cap iron to compare?

I can't remember. The couple of times he's been here, it's like finding a long lost older brother who is a lot deeper than you are (you being me), but I think he may have been a little surprised to see the amount of activity and wares here from it, too. You never know if people are just making things up on the internet.

I learned that warren really is what he says even though I fairly rudely picked at him trying to get him to prove it before and share some work. It's his business as to why he doesn't want to share it, but a large part of it is well over my head and well over the head of anything I've ever seen on here (think fine work combined with carving that only a professional carver could do).

We did look over some planes and some chisels - but I just don't remember if I got into the minutiae of the cap iron in a try plane vs. a smoother. I roll the tip of my smoother a little less steep than warren does probably, but there's also unlikely to be that much difference otherwise. He mentioned that at one point, he was doing client work with something intolerant and added a tiny bit of steepness (hopefully that doesn't lack precision - warren's description of things is *precise*, there's not much willy nilly anything) and that allowed the plane to get through it and that was the end of that. But the profile he's talking about has relief up from the initial point quickly so that wasted work isn't done.

He feels like my planes are heavy a pound or two, which I already knew, but I don't think he had any objection to anything here other than he doesn't waste money on tools and have six of anything. I will have a current user, but travel into the basement and dig out five more of the same thing that are on hand for a reason other than current use - like comparing cap irons of all of them, which would sound like a waste of time, but it yet again, illuminates why the mature versions of the better companies were made the way they are.

I know it wears people out when I talk about being very deep in plane design and generally looking deeper than most people, and being pretty impatient when someone attempts to "learn me up" about something basic, but I kind of take the tool thing as being important like someone who makes mostly furniture would have their preferences and it wouldn't just be superficial things.

I also expect that most people won't care about almost all of the things that i find - I got past the point of thinking I should only look at things others would find useful in terms of wider consensus.

The intersection with what warren has learned and done is rewarding, though. I just don't process information as well as other people do and I really need to be in the soup. Warren is a combination of encyclopedic, detail oriented and mentally organized that I won't have.

He's nicer than me, too, but I did apologize about being hard on him and pushing him for information when explaining why. maybe the same thing would happen if Derek ever visited, too. I'd certainly have him in the shop without reservation. There'd be no great reason to come to Pittsburgh unless Rob Lee was here for an Ottawa Senators game, though.

From memory the standard Veritas planes do have a Stanley style chipbreaker. However, it was many years ago I tried one.

The custom range never gained traction here and I think they've been dropped from UK retailers for some time. The standard planes are still available though.

From memory the standard Veritas planes do have a Stanley style chipbreaker. However, it was many years ago I tried one.

The custom range never gained traction here and I think they've been dropped from UK retailers for some time. The standard planes are still available though.
Lee Valley still offers the line on their website. The description does not speak to the style of chipbreaker - maybe if Derek still has his LV plane, he can post a pic? For what its worth, I quite like the Record “Stay Set” and have it on my Clifton #3.

Agreed Tony, North American and mainland Europe still offer the custom line. I think Axminster used to carry the custom but it's been absent for a long time.

Lee Valley still offers the line on their website. The description does not speak to the style of chipbreaker - maybe if Derek still has his LV plane, he can post a pic? For what its worth, I quite like the Record “Stay Set” and have it on my Clifton #3.

Here is my #4: 42 degree bed, "Stanley" handle, mushroom knob ..

1.jpg

PM-V11 blade; chipbreaker modified with a partly-rounded leading edge, which has a small secondary at around 70-80 degrees; blade hollow ground at 32 degrees and free-hand honed to 13000 (Sigma).

2.jpg

3.jpg

Driver for the screws ...

4.jpg

Finally, shavings on Jarrah scrap quickly made for this post. This was into the grain. The quality of the surface is blemish-free. Smooth finish, but the example of wood is open-grained and quite coarse.

5.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Warren is a combination of encyclopedic, detail oriented and mentally organized that I won't have.

He's nicer than me, too, but I did apologize about being hard on him and pushing him for information when explaining why. maybe the same thing would happen if Derek ever visited, too. I'd certainly have him in the shop without reservation. There'd be no great reason to come to Pittsburgh unless Rob Lee was here for an Ottawa Senators game, though.

David, I give Warren a hard time about the way he disrespects people. But I listen to his advice - what little he gives - and take it seriously. For years he told us all about the double iron, repeatedly without explaining one iota of how it was set up and used; It was not until you came along several years later and demonstrated the method that it became clear how to make it work. I would be happy to one day meet him and discover a different side.

I cannot lie - Pittsburgh sounds unlikely (even if Rob Lee was there), but I am happy to extend the invitation to Perth. (I have had Rob and his lovely wife to stay, as well as the Lee Valley team ... twice). We do a mean barbie, and the beer is Great!

Regards from Perth

Derek

David, I give Warren a hard time about the way he disrespects people. But I listen to his advice - what little he gives - and take it seriously. For years he told us all about the double iron, repeatedly without explaining one iota of how it was set up and used; It was not until you came along several years later and demonstrated the method that it became clear how to make it work. I would be happy to one day meet him and discover a different side.

I cannot lie - Pittsburgh sounds unlikely (even if Rob Lee was there), but I am happy to extend the invitation to Perth. (I have had Rob and his lovely wife to stay, as well as the Lee Valley team ... twice). We do a mean barbie, and the beer is Great!

Regards from Perth

Derek

I'll keep that in mind. I'm not much of a traveler, but if I should start crossing water, Australia would be a nice place to see. It's probably close enough to being the same language.

I don't ever know what makes people tick - I guess warren likes to go to the forums for some reason. I didn't ask him that as maybe he wouldn't like to tell. Maybe it's just leisure time after work and the last thing he wants to do is get invested in giving detailed advice to people who won't follow it - that's a lot to do with why there's no George on forums. he's the same person in person, but it's a lot easier to communicate in person because there's no hours-long delay in a back and forth where you can dream up a whole tree limb of follow up thoughts and what ifs before there's clarification.

David, George is a completely different person to Warren. George gave a great deal of himself to others, and was hurt when this was not reciprocated. I miss George. I considered him a friend and we used to send PMs back-and-forth for years, until he stopped visiting SMC.

Regards from Perth

Derek

David, George is a completely different person to Warren. George gave a great deal of himself to others, and was hurt when this was not reciprocated. I miss George. I considered him a friend and we used to send PMs back-and-forth for years, until he stopped visiting SMC.

Regards from Perth

Derek

George was always a sharer. I don't think he ever really wanted anyone to give him anything back, but to give good advice and then have it actually be used - to see that it's got some effect. The forums aren't an efficient differentiator or converter and there's a strong mechanism, especially in some, that thwarts upward discussion or differentiation. He mentioned several other times that it takes a while for him to type out a response to someone (not ever being of the typing generation) and then there's little feedback or a dismissive response to world class advice given free (my words on the world class part).

He also had the desire to discuss design and outcome as drivers rather than method, but that's not really well received on forums. Consumption of "buy this, use it like this" kind of cut and dried stuff will always dominate.

George is doing fine, by the way. He still does a little bit of work and finds more focused people locally (through contacts he's done work for in the past, etc) who want to learn and are more motivated.

Back