Putting planes down flat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

I should think wooden planes would benefit the most from being placed on the bench sole down. Their blades are similarly susceptible to metal planes from being chipped when run into by a tool in use, or whacked by the butt of a piece of timber, and their soles are even more likely to dented. A tidy bench is a better rule to instil in apprentices.

Sawing dovetails vertically I think is most common, although Robrert Ingham for one, keeps his wood vertical and angles the saw. I might guess that most graduates from Parnham College would do It the same, since Robert must have trained hundreds of fine cabinetmakers there. I am definitely affected by gravity, though, so saw vertically, myself.

Mike.

Sawyer":3tnqlpoc said:
I've long thought that this idea must have originated from working on site. Putting your plane, blade down on a wooden bench top probably won't make any difference, but on a stone floor? If you ever work away from the bench, it may be a good habit to get into for just this reason.

Similarly, do we all place our chisels bevel downwards?

In a pinch, on site, this makes some sense, but it is primarily at school etc. where this practice was instilled. I don't think generally educating people to do this was on the off chance that they might be site workers.

I would find an off cut from a board, or take a short plank with me, rather than take any risks. Damage to the plane's important bit is even more likely on site if t is exposed, and sharpening less convenient.

Mike

On side, seems madness to me. Blade is exposed to knuckles and tools.

I suppose the problem with a small shim under the toe was that teacher could not see it?

People reposition my planes sometimes when I am at a show. It makes me want to smite them............Do they think they are being helpful, clever??
Eventually I suppose one has to forgive them for being so easily indoctrinated.

Yes bevel down seems good for chisels.

David

I generally put mine across the tool well if large, or with one end dipping into it, if small. Another reason why a tool well is so useful. Agreed everyone? ;-)

David C":17ovf07i said:
On side, seems madness to me. Blade is exposed to knuckles and tools.

Lay the base facing away

David C":17ovf07i said:
I suppose the problem with a small shim under the toe was that teacher could not see it?

Thats a good point. Kids dont tend to treat tools to kindly, more throwing them down than placing them carefully. If they throw the plane down on its side its far better than throwing them sole down - even on a shim

They do the same with tenon saws, stacked in a pile with the Tri-square and steel rule #-o

I think Paul sellars in his first woodworking master class takes the time to actually say why he place the plane sole down.

Stationary wood isn't going to blunt the cutting edge. But catching your knuckles on a freshly sharpens plane blade will do some damage

John

Back