Pull Tooth Kerfing Saws.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swagman

Established Member
Reaction score
Attached are some Pull Tooth Kerfing Saws I am working on. The handle wood is Bubinga, 0.020 saw plate gauge, the toothed length will be 120mm, and the hang angle 45* to the tooth line.

The handle has only had 2 coat of Garnet Shellac. I am looking at filing the saw teeth 15tpi; 8* rake; with crosscut fleam.

These 2 Kerfing Saws are designed for cutting out the shallow wedge abutments on wooden bench planes, so no tooth set will be applied. Their design could be easily modified to suit deeper kerfing work where some set would be a requirement.

Stewie;

NazNomad":32q57zxk said:
Nice for installing my fret wire. :-D

Not in Ebony it wouldn't, unless the saw has some set. Thin gauge plate is good.

Anyway back to the real topic, the pull tooth kerfing saw.

whiskywill":egu1rqu6 said:
NazNomad":egu1rqu6 said:
Nice for installing my fret wire. :-D

Another luthier. What do you make?

Nothing fancy, a lot of cigar-box guitars, a nice Langspil, some dulcimers etc. and a few repairs on 'normal' guitars.

The kerfing saws have been sharpened 14 tpi ; 10 degree rake angle ; 5 degree fleam ; 0 set applied.

They were then tested out on softwood; hardwood ; and some gnarly Blackwood Burl. All clean cuts; close together ; straight and consistent within depth of cut ; no noticeable rocking motion by the saw blade ; and the handle grip accompanied by the 45 degree hang angle felt quite natural within use.

Stewie;

As I mentioned in my opening post with some set applied these Kerfing Saws were capable of far deeper cuts.

This thread also represents the last time I will be posting my work on this forum site.

Stewie;

swagman":2sgbfb6d said:
This thread also represents the last time I will be posting my work on this forum site.

Stewie;

Sad to see you go, you have added to the forum a lot.

Pete

Racers":cgnlfhij said:
swagman":cgnlfhij said:

Stewie;

Sad to see you go, you have added to the forum a lot.

Pete

+1 from me.
I've really enjoyed the saws you've made and the constant updates =D>

Will we be able to find your future work anywhere on the web, will you be having your own blog or site?

Looks like a nice saw

swagman":24ittmgp said:

Stewie

Have I missed something??

Farewell Stewie,

see you here and there
and may be there?
Nice saws as allways, though I don't get the task they're made for yet.

Cheers
Pedder

Harbo":248cx61f said:
Sad to see you go - I've always been impressed by your work.

Rod

Rod. Consider it as a opportunity for someone else within this forum to step up to the plate and promote saw making. Based on the lack of saw builds being posted on this forum in the last 2 -3 yrs , I am clearly not the right person to continue leading that charge. I personally think Andy Lovelock would be a very good choice.

Stewie;

Stewie - I suspect that given the fairly easy availability in the UK of new saws ranging from Flinn's budget lines to the quality products of several manufacturers, and the availability of high quality vintage saws through dealers and internet auctions at prices from £10 including postage, there's very little need for anybody in the UK to make their own saws. I think the situation is different in other countries. That doesn't mean that people in the UK are indifferent to the efforts of people making their own saws (indeed, far from it), it just means they're less likely to have the need to develop those particular skills themselves.

Back