Puffin Intarsia - WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linkshouse

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay, so there is no actual intarsia to see yet!

I was asked for a w.i.p. when I posted my deer intarsia.

This Puffin is my first attempt at an original from a pattern drawn by me from a photo of a puffin so this first instalment of the wip is just the photo and pattern.

Unfortunately further work is stalled due to the failure of my planer/thicknesser. It is an Erbauer (Screwfix's own brand) and I wasn't sure how I would get on but I must say their customer service was excellent. Their immediate response to reporting the fault was to send a new replacement unit. Just have to wait for it to arrive now - blumming bank holiday!!!

Anyway here snapshots of my original photo and pattern.

photo.jpg

pattern.jpg

Time will tell how the actual intarsia will work out...

Regards

Phill

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,100
  • pattern.jpg
    pattern.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,100
I wish, one day I'll learn how to do intarsia. Till then, you guys keep me inspired ;) Looking forward to see the final product.

Claymore":24agt3sz said:
I have the same planer/thicknesser and have had no problems with it (so far) what has gone wrong on yours?
Did you see my Corian Puffin?

The no volt relay must have packed up as it would run if the button was held in but stopped as soon as I removed my finger.

I never initially thought about it being under guarantee and rang looking to find out where I could get a replacement relay. The chap on the phone said that they don't and that it was outside the 30 day automatic replacement for normal goods, but as it was their own make it fell under their 2 year warranty and he would send a replacement and just to give the old one to the courier for return. I was well impressed, no haggling, no discussion, straight and immediate replacement, job done!

No I haven't seen your Puffin, presumably its on flickr pages. I'll go and have a look now.

Regards

Phill

@Brian,

Just looked at the Puffin now, along with the rest of your projects.

I like the Puffin, but I 'lurv' the Jenny Wren key rack. On my future to do list I think, is it a Kathy Wise?

I enjoyed looking at your photos too.

Regards

Phill

Still no planer :(

Isn't it amazing how the minute you don't have the use of something everything you decide to get on with requires it.

On the plus side I'm getting really good at twiddling my thumbs!

Phill

Still no planer :(

To be fair to Screwfix, when I checked with them it is my fault as we obviously got at cross purposes. I thought we had agreed that I would send the faulty planer back in the replacement planer's packaging. On enquiring about the delivery on Friday they said that the replacement would only be sent when they received the returned faulty one. Reasonable really, just not what I thought we'd agreed.

Bad weather here has meant no ferries through till today so, although I gave it to the Post Office on Saturday it won't have left the island till today.

Ho hum, the joys of living on a small island....

Back to the matter at hand.

Although the good book of how to do intarsia says to work with sized, planed material, impatience has gotten the better of me.

I've made a start with stock some of which is sawn and some of which is too thick. I figure have to shape the individual pieces once they're cut anyway so if they're too thick I'll cut em down and the sawn finish won't matter anyway once I've started shaping them.

Well, that's my theory anyway. Time will tell if I can get away with it.

So - w.i.p. here is a photo of the most of the part patterns glued to the stock ready for cutting.

Attachments

• pattern-cut-outs.jpg
    pattern-cut-outs.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 876
Parts all rough/first cut now ready to tweak where necessary for a better fit, then it's onto shaping the individual pieces.

I had thought to use wood stain to stain most of the pieces a bit towards grey (Chestnut Jacobean Oak) to better mach the original subject.

Looking at the pieces in place now though, I'm leaning towards leaving them natural. It won't be as accurate a representation but then it is made of wood so, natural might look well, more natural. I suppose it will be easier to judged once the parts are shaped and ready for sealing.

Attachments

• puffin.jpg
    puffin.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 839
Claymore":1c7zv1sd said:
Thats looking great Phill, when you wax it it will darken slightly and also bring out the grain in the wood, I tend to use dyes and stains mainly for my motorbike Intarsias and try and keep the animals natural if possible but if it needs dyes to make the design pop them no problems using them.

I love wood so also think that may be the best way to go.

I used to do a bit of painting in the past so I think it is old habit of wanting to get accurate colours that pulls me towards wanting to colour the pieces. I just need to fully embrace this new (to me) medium.

You have got the Puffins pose perfect a real action shot and I have a Puffin to do on my order list but mine has 2 standing not flying shot like yours.

I will look forward to seeing yours as I aspire to be as good at this as you I am keen to see your finished piece. I will be particularly interested to see your choice of woods/colours (I say colours because half the time I have no idea which wood is which I just pick by colour!).

I have finally finished the BMW R1200GSA today for the Irish customer and thank god for it too! its got approx 200 tiny parts including many spacers and will be the last bike for a while as its taken so long I have some catching up to do and although I like making the bikes its the wildlife that pay my bills nowadays.

200 pieces! My word, I thought 73 in my puffin was a lot. Tiny pieces are particularly a challenge. I seem to lose quite a few. Yes I know I should use a zero clearance insert. I usually remember that straight after my piece has disappeared down the hole!

I managed to break 16 blades cutting the 1 1/2" Beech on the bike and my hands are knackered with trying to grip it lol no pain no gain eh?

I must admit the number of blades I go through due to the thicker wood in intarsia, compared to fretwork, has been a bit of a surprise but at least they're not particularly expensive. I'm hooked on the Pegas modified geometry blades from Axminster, it just irks me that they charge more for delivery to Orkney when they are coming by Royal Mail.

Looking forward to seeing your Puffin finished

Me too :lol:

Regards

Phill

Only because I was asked for a w.i.p.

Here I am with the body and head shaped.

As I had to glue some of the smaller parts together to shape them as a whole e.g. the beak I am now committed to keeping the wood colour but I think it will come out okay.

Had to have a break though as our dog kept coming into the workshop and staring at me.... Time for my walk!!!

Regards

Phill

Attachments

• puffin-body.jpg
    puffin-body.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 788
Claymore":1f0xph8f said:
Superb Phill it looks perfect and you went the right way keeping it natural.
Thank you.
What's next? how about a seal or dolphin?
Well, having done the puffin from scratch (by the way if anyone would like a copy of the pattern just let me know), I'm working on trying to trace a photo of a Highland cow at the moment. I'm not sure if it will work out as they're pretty much just a blob of hair with horns!

Regards

Phill

Back