Pub Licensing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AndyT":3kgqkh81 said:
Lee, do have a read of the site I linked to. The villagers there found that, under the 2011 Localism Act, the pub could be designated as an Asset of community Value which meant it could not be changed from a pub to a residence. They are now looking to take it over and run it.

We must be hellishly lucky "cos we know that our local is an Asset of "whatever" without an act of parliament to tell us so, the kids play at the pub an" have the odd sip or two of shandy while the parents and all keep an eye on them,,the youths take the mickey out of us oldies as we do with them, knowing that it was needed we could call upon them for help as has happened in the recent past,,sounds like a dream ? Perhaps we are lucky ,but we support our local businesses,,

joethedrummer":35fppl8p said:
AndyT":35fppl8p said:
Lee, do have a read of the site I linked to. The villagers there found that, under the 2011 Localism Act, the pub could be designated as an Asset of community Value which meant it could not be changed from a pub to a residence. They are now looking to take it over and run it.

We must be hellishly lucky "cos we know that our local is an Asset of "whatever" without an act of parliament to tell us so, the kids play at the pub an" have the odd sip or two of shandy while the parents and all keep an eye on them,,the youths take the mickey out of us oldies as we do with them, knowing that it was needed we could call upon them for help as has happened in the recent past,,sounds like a dream ? Perhaps we are lucky ,but we support our local businesses,,

Joe you have got it the wrong way round. The Act is not designed to tell you what is already obvious. But it can be used, by a local community, to stop something of real value to them, such as a pub, being closed down by a new owner who thought he'd found a clever way to get a big house cheap, regardless of the other local people's needs.

So if Lee's neighbours care about their pub as much as they do in Bath, they might have a good way to get it back.

AndyT":79pu4o0v said:
joethedrummer":79pu4o0v said:
AndyT":79pu4o0v said:

Joe you have got it the wrong way round. The Act is not designed to tell you what is already obvious. But it can be used, by a local community, to stop something of real value to them, such as a pub, being closed down by a new owner who thought he'd found a clever way to get a big house cheap, regardless of the other local people's needs.

So if Lee's neighbours care about their pub as much as they do in Bath, they might have a good way to get it back.
Too right ,,I hope they get it back and if they do we will buy a round ,,We think it"s too late unfortunately ,,because it happened locally and the fellow living there now has a really nice house and the local residents have no easily reachable pub,,,

"Is there a minimum opening time for him to be able to keep his license? Surely if he opens zero hours a week he should have his license revoked?"

Unlikely, BUT, if he is now using it as a house, then he has 'changed its use' and is breaking planning permission. I would assume that as a business premises they would expect the business to trade, lack of trade would seem to confirm that it is no longer being used as a pub.

Time to call the local planners and ruin his day, if that is your wish...... ;-)

morfa":1zrj44ka said:
Going further off topic...

Honestly, most pubs in the UK deserve to close down. Dingy, grim, unwelcoming places which couldn't pull a decent pint if their lives depended on it. I really like decent beer and I really like going to a pub. I just find lots of pubs fairly awful places to go to.

There's a pub near me which re-opened as a proper free house a couple of years back. They've done the place up, nothing amazing, but it's clean and tidy. They have a couple of regular kegs, but otherwise they always have different beers from all over the country on. They also have an off-licence, so you can take a bottle home. It's always busy. Even on a quiet day, you'll generally get about 10 folks in there and at the weekends it's generally pretty full.

Recently won a comp in the local paper:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... 13-4008538

No's 5, 6, and 7 are my top three, the exact order changing depending on which one I am in at the time.

Latest posts

Back