Protecting my saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karfeef

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I currently have my scroll saw set up in the porch by my front door. I live in a flat and it's the only place with enough room to use it. The problem is, due to the fact it's right by the front door, the temperature in the porch is basically the same as outside, minus wind chill.

Would I need to cover the saw with anything for protection from the cold/condensation?

Sent from my GT-I9300

Can you not put a plastic cover over it, like the ones one used to place over old style CRT monitors?

I don't think it will be a problem if it's the same temp as outside. Talking of covers, I generally cover my milling machine and bench with an old cotton bedsheet, but one day I too it off to find eveything wet through. Plastic makes it worse.

martinka":3ilsjckh said:
I don't think it will be a problem if it's the same temp as outside. Talking of covers, I generally cover my milling machine and bench with an old cotton bedsheet, but one day I too it off to find eveything wet through. Plastic makes it worse.

I was thinking that there might be an issue with moisture formation, but I'm not clued up on the science of it to understand fully. Looks like it might be better uncovered, as long as it doesn't get damp

Sent from my GT-I9300

My workshop is unheated (unless I'm in it) and I cover the machines with shower curtains cost £3.50 a pair from Wilkinson's, fold away to nothing when I want to use the machine. Word of caution they're not good for blowing your nose on though, they just sort of spread it over your face!

smoggy49":8r3530ww said:
My workshop is unheated (unless I'm in it) and I cover the machines with shower curtains cost £3.50 a pair from Wilkinson's, fold away to nothing when I want to use the machine. Word of caution they're not good for blowing your nose on though, they just sort of spread it over your face!

That made me laugh out loud! :lol:

Sent from my GT-I9300

smoggy49":2zev2jbe said:
Word of caution they're not good for blowing your nose on though, they just sort of spread it over your face!
That brought visions to mind I could of well done without while drinking my morning cuppa :)

karfeef":w32se7ey said:
martinka":w32se7ey said:

I was thinking that there might be an issue with moisture formation, but I'm not clued up on the science of it to understand fully. Looks like it might be better uncovered, as long as it doesn't get damp

Sent from my GT-I9300

I must admit, anything I know is from reading the model engineering forums where there's often threads about condensation in the workshop at this time of year. It seems everyone has a different way of dealing with it, and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another.

If it's a small enclosed porch, you could get some dessicant or a small and cheap de-humidifier which should cut down on the chance of condensation.

karfeef":1rwxwcid said:
Hi all. I currently have my scroll saw set up in the porch by my front door. I live in a flat and it's the only place with enough room to use it. The problem is, due to the fact it's right by the front door, the temperature in the porch is basically the same as outside, minus wind chill.

Would I need to cover the saw with anything for protection from the cold/condensation?

Sent from my GT-I9300
Hi I just cover all my saws with cotton decorators sheets
and spray under the sheet with WD 40 don't over do it just a quick squirt every now and then.
works for me

Geoff :)

Thanks for the idea Geoff. In interested to know about the wd40. I know it displaces water, but does it basically displace ambient moisture if sprayed under the sheet?

Sent from my GT-I9300

Latest posts

Back