Proportions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deejay

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all

I bought a plank of beech some while ago and I just turned three platters from it.

Not very thick timber, about an inch and an eighth.

The first two were OK but very light weight and not very stable, so I decided to glue a separate foot onto the third one.

I think that there is something 'not right' about the proportions of the platter and the foot.

The diameter of the platter is about ten inches.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Dave

Hi Deejay.

Here are my thoughts - for what they`re worth!
To my eyes, the foot doesn`t match very well grain or colour wise. Did it come from the same plank?
While the platter looks good, the foot looks a bit clunky and shapeless. I think it could be reduced in diameter and depth while still providing the stability you were looking for. I think the foot also needs to be shaped to give, say, an inward curved profile with softened edges. As it stands it looks unfinished.
Hope this helps. I`m no expert! :)

Ian

not sure it's a proportion thing - fundamentally there doesn't seem to be any relationship (other than contrast) between the top and the base.

Thanks for the replies.

Jumps. The foot was turned from a bit of Ash that I had. It was an experiment to see what the overall 'shape' looked like. Could you explain what you mean by 'relationship' please?

Ian. Your thoughts are as valid as anyone elses. I tend to agree that the foot is too big. It's about half the diameter of the platter and I think it might be better if it was about a third.

The next time I've got the Cole jaws mounted, I'll turn it down and try a radius on the sides of the foot. If it works, I'll probably end up turning the foot off, refinishing the bottom of the platter and replacing it with something a bit paler.

PS Is that dog padlocked to it's chain? :)

Cheers

Dave

Deejay":292vtx8c said:
Thanks for the replies.

Jumps. The foot was turned from a bit of Ash that I had. It was an experiment to see what the overall 'shape' looked like. Could you explain what you mean by 'relationship' please?

Dave

it could be matched wood, grain, the mirroring of a design element (curve/bead/lip), at an extreme this could be the mirroring of the whole upper scaled appropriately.

All, as you say, in appropriate proportion.

Ian. Your thoughts are as valid as anyone elses

Absolutely! I may not know much about turning but I know what I like. :lol:

PS Is that dog padlocked to it's chain? :)

Hmmm.. Now there`s an idea :wink:
Actually, no, it`s just the tag on its collar and the swivel on the end of its lead you are seeing.

Ian

Shaping the existing base to form a waist would make a big difference to the apparent weight/bulk.
P7053235[1].jpg

P.S. your link for the first image is incorrect.

Attachments

• P7053235[1].jpg
    P7053235[1].jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 433
Morning Chas

Thanks for that. One picture, worth a thousand words. I'll try that first.

I think I'll have to do a bit of reading. Richard Raffan's book, 'The art of turning bowls' looks like a good starting point.

Any other suggestions anyone?

PS link now corrected thanks.

Cheers

Dave

Back