Projects for the little one

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wobblycogs

Established Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd share a couple of projects I completed over the last few days for our little one.

She's just starting to walk so I thought it was time for a stair gate. Having not found anything suitable to buy I decided to make one. The main problem is that we have nothing to fix a gate too - sounds stupid I know but it's true. The banister is a flimsy waste of space and really needs replacing but it's a listed building so that's not going to happen. The wall is 200 year old lathe and plaster and crumbly to say the least. I could go though the lathe and attach to the bricks but experience has told me that touching that plaster results in a lot of work. The only option left to be then was to attach it to the floor which makes for a tough build.
IMAG0578.jpg

IMAG0579.jpg

I've not fitted a lock yet (because I've misplaced it :oops:) but other than that it's ready to go. Yes, it's zip tied to the banister. I found that there was a tiny amount of movement in the upright when the door was closing which I could stop with one finger so out came the zip ties - obviously I didn't want to screw it to the banister. The block touching the wall is just a spacer. The door doesn't have any bracing for weight reasons but the joints are screwed and glued half laps so I'm confident they'll hold. Over all I'm pretty chuffed with how the build went. It was always going to be a bit of a compromise because I didn't have anything solid to attach to.

The second project was a little trolley to help with walking around. Most of the trolleys you can buy have the problem that the back wheels are in front of the handle so the kid face plants every time they lean on the handle. To combat that I've made the wheels stick out behind the handle. The handle can be moved up to a higher position when she grows up a bit and there's a tray for her to put stuff in (or sit in which is what she wants to do).
IMAG0581.jpg

Hope you like them :D

I like the trolley idea. I have a two month old girl and I think I might steal your ideas to make a Christmas present. My 3 year old boy loved his trolley but as you say it did tip up quite a bit!

Glad you like it. If I made it again I'd probably M&T the handle to the body rather than glue and screw it as I had to add some support blocks. The main body is made with through tenons and is far stronger than is actually needed :). The castors are 20mm from ebay (about £5 inc shipping).

I feel somewhat relieved - I'm not the only one living in a building site (the house that is) ! :mrgreen:

Dibs

p.s. Nice little trolley & love the gate. Thank God our house whilst in a Conservation Area isn't listed!

I've lived in a building site nearly all my life, seems to run in the family. We've deliberately left the halls un-carpeted as we are always tromping around in our boots, some or the rest of the house is actually quite nice :D. I'd never buy a listed building again. I actually want to fix this place up "properly" but dealing with the power crazed little Hitlers at the conservation department is enough to drive me nuts.

cracking little projects :)

I'm in the building site club as well, may be we should have a comp as to who lives in the least finished house or biggest building site. :lol:

Oooh, that would be a good competition. I don't think we would win any more but I reckon I could get at least an honourable mention.

andyoaks":3j654uzd said:
cracking little projects :)

I'm in the building site club as well, may be we should have a comp as to who lives in the least finished house or biggest building site. :lol:

I'd enter with a good prospect of winning - but my wife & children would no doubt disown me! The shed ain't finished yet so can't move into that & knowing my luck - they'd move into that first, as that would be finished!

Dibs

How about the longest 'unfinished occupation' award. We had 30 years in the last place, and I still hadn't finished completely :smile:
When I first looked at the pics, I thought, 'my, they are bringing her up tough'.....I couldn't see any wheels :smile:

Regards...Dick.

LOL, we don't want her growing up a weakling but that would be going a bit far :D. 30 years eh, that makes me fell better about taking three years over this place. To be fair the universe conspired against me a bit and I ended up starting a business just after I moved in which ate up all my time - well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Your daughter will probably only have started senior school when you are finished! Refurbishing a house takes a long time when you live in it and have to work to earn the money to pay for the materials and of course the tools that each new job requires :lol: . I took fifteen years to finish the first house, although that was interrupted by 5 years of studying while working as well - never again! When it was perfect we moved :roll: The latest and last house refurb project is 5 years in, more than halfway :) but it will be worth it.

Simon

When we moved into our house we thought it would take 6 months to finish. 18 months later, we think we should get it done in another 2 years! #-o

Cheers guys, you're making me feel really good about our building site, erm I mean, house :D. The worst we've got is a roof over the current extension that will probably collapse this winter if I don't do something about it. The windows are need some serious attention but other than that I think it's mostly cosmetic. Note that I call the odd broken floorboard cosmetic - I really got shouted at when one broke in the bedroom, high heels are good a finding weak spots it would seem.

I have to ask though, do your friends and family give you a hard time about living in a building site? I get constantly nagged about it by everyone but LOML. It's like they all think I just sit around not doing anything, sigh.

wobblycogs":155uw15u said:
Cheers guys, you're making me feel really good about our building site, erm I mean, house :D. The worst we've got is a roof over the current extension that will probably collapse this winter if I don't do something about it. The windows are need some serious attention but other than that I think it's mostly cosmetic. Note that I call the odd broken floorboard cosmetic - I really got shouted at when one broke in the bedroom, high heels are good a finding weak spots it would seem.

I have to ask though, do your friends and family give you a hard time about living in a building site? I get constantly nagged about it by everyone but LOML. It's like they all think I just sit around not doing anything, sigh.

High heels - you should stop wearing them or the Mrs is going to find out! :D :D

Seriously, we don't get many folk coming round to be honest. Her folks\siblings come round every couple of months or so - and understand it works exactly as Tenon put it - you have to earn the money for the tools\materials and live in it at the same time. Her mates come round and can see the potential and probably live in something that also requires work, but the other half is useless and money isn't abundant, so don't say anything!

Also things have to give if we want to be mortgage free in a few years.

A mate of mine use to take the proverbial - but now that his rebuild (completely flattened & new house) has hit 4 yrs, thru 3 sets of builders, and doubled in cost, whilst they live somewhere else - doesn't mention ours anymore!

Hopefully with the house being empty (or getting emptied) in a couple of weeks - it should move faster, as opposed to tripping over everything!

Dibs

Ah, that would be the difference right there - the folks that come round to ours (mostly) have done a bit of painting and therefore think they have a clue about putting a whole house back together.

We managed to get mortgage free a couple of months ago, 'tis a great feeling and makes all the hard work seem worth it. Probably won't last for long as we plan on getting a builder in to put an extension on the back, I'd love to build it myself but in reality I doubt it would get done inside of 10 years (and I want a workshop sooner than that).

High heels are murder up a ladder but great for painting ceilings ;-)

Hi wc,

It has to be said by someone, so it might as well be me. Then don't wear your high heels in the bedroom..... :oops: :p

And no, our friends don't complain about our progress. The idea is to 'educate' them into thinking that chaos is normal :shock:

pipper, you have to be quick on this forum....hi Dibs. :wink:
Ah, I really must see if there is a next page when I reply....do'h.

Back