Professional forum?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sporky McGuffin post is bang on the money. If you don't want to hear about my ornate pine bird feeder I'm making out of pallets and nails then I suggest you find yourself another forum rather than asking us where you should go. I know of one answer that comes to mind.

Amateurs can learn from professionals and professionals can learn from amateurs, why would you want to shut out a group of people just because they don't earn their living from woodwork, they might have the answer you require.

I do find the original post a touch demeaning.

Pete

I guess the main problem is people like the OP come across as arrogant because they assume a part time woodworker couldn't possibly offer advice for a professional related question, obviously this is quite foolish.
For instance I'm a part time woodworker but I am a professional designer / manager of a manufacturing business so I have a wealth of experience in areas which possibly a professional woodworker might not.
For example, if you run a professional but very small woodworking shop, you probably have limited people in the business and therefore less volume of experience because any way you look at it, more people equals more experience. Also they may not be familiar with efficient production methodology for batch production etc. on a larger scale and the growth of your business by not having the expertise required to take on larger projects and the additional organisation, planning etc that is involved.
I'm not afraid to admit that I don't know everything and sometimes its the apprentice that comes up with the idea that solves the problem. A different perspective can be worth a heap of time and money.

doctor Bob":casbf3xi said:
Some of you guys need to chill out a bit, I'd hate to see your reactions if something serious was to happen.

I'm rather surprised by this post Doctor Bob, I would have thought your stance would be it was unreasonable to post criticism of messers Smith, Jones, Paul and Winter without having given them a week to respond to the issues by email before commenting. :lol:

Sporky McGuffin":3g693l40 said:
cornishjoinery":3g693l40 said:
I don't how wanting to start a proffessional forum is arrogant? Sorry if I offended anyone.

It's how you said it. If i may break your post down a bit:

OK - "Hi guys, i was wondering if there is a forum anywhere for professional carpenters, joiners, cabinet makers etc"

Patronising - "as much as i love to read threads from mr smith asking how to put a hinge on a door or mr Jones asking where he can buy 10 lengths of 40mm oak for under a tenner"

OK - "i am thinking it would be cool to have a separate forum on here for professionals"

Patronising - "I am not saying in the slightest that DIYS or weekend warriors don't know what they are doing, far from it, some are very very skilled but "

OK - "i would like to interact with the day to day issues of paid work"

Patronising - "Again as much as i love to see pictures of mr Pauls building his first rabbit hutch or mr winters making a jewellery box for his late mothers rings"

OKish - "i like to look at work that is more relative to my work. "

You use more words to put down non-trade members than you do to say what you want. Does that help?

Spot on Sporky. What I don't understand is why the original post could not of just been...

"Hi guys, i was wondering if there is a forum anywhere for professional carpenters, joiners, cabinet. i am thinking it would be cool to have a separate forum on here for professionals as i would like to interact with the day to day issues of paid work. I like to look at work that is more relative to my work."

I just can't see why it was necessary to go to the time and trouble to add the other text, other than to try to make a point.

I am new to woodworking, I take more from this forum than I can give, that is true. But I have found some really helpful people here, both amateur and professional willing to help me. I think the mix of different people makes the place all the more interesting and would be most disappointed if all the professionals left for another site.

But if there is demand for another board on professional commercial matters then why not.

Terry.

I'd have absolutely no problem with there being a trade forum - some of the business side might well be best discussed separately, and I appreciate that there are often different approaches to the same job based on whether you're trying to make a living at it or not. I also didn't mean that "dissection" as an attack at all - it was genuinely intended to help Mr Cornish.

As someone who has more than once gotten the wording of a post wrong I try to look at such things as clumsiness rather than malice. I don't always succeed!

Sporky, sorry if you felt I put emphasis on your post in the wrong way. Maybe it was just intended to be humorous and just didn't hit the target, hell I know I have done that a lot in my life!

Terry.

Zeddedhed":3l1flgaf said:
How about a professional only sharpening forum?
That should be fun.
It would be like BBC news 24 channel, constant stories of how to sharpen 'the right way'!!! Let the arguments, meet the sharpeners...

Ha ha! You should try the kitchen knife forums. There are endless threads and videos on sharpening, all kinds of stones including naturals and dissection of synthetics by brand, how to thin behind the edge, about a zillion different stropping methods and materials.

They could do a bake-off style series - Britain's Sharpest Tools.

Each week they have to perform a range of sharpening tasks with a range of sharpening technologies.

This week's technical challenge is to resharpen a set of cobalt drills using a triangular profile Silverline needle file. In twenty minutes.

Tonight contestants we have our very honoured guest sharpening judge, Joe 'Sharpstuff' McSharpener.
Joe will be judging your sharpening results using a microscope, tuning fork and the force!!

I think the sequel would be more interesting to watch though,
britains bluntest tools, I could name a few people :twisted:

Thank you all. You have made my f**** of a day a whole lot better. Perhaps there could be one on plane storage as a DVD extra?

followed by the complete box set of "whats better, hand tools or power tools?" a bbc documentary

Bloody hell didn't mean to course offense. Wow. When I gave examples it was only in a joky kind of way, I don't know anyway by the name of Smith or Jones. Funny really as they are popular British names hence why I used them. I never said hobbyists lack skill, far from it! It's just Adifferent kind of world. If the moderaters could set up a trade section that would be awesome.
Many thanks Jamie

Back