Problem with Dulux Once

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlowry_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone used this stuff? Having renovated all our downstairs woodwork, I decided to use Dulux Once brilliant white, hoping to cut down on the number of coats needed - it appears there really is no such thing as a free lunch though.

I used 1 coat of combined primer/undercoat (although the tin says its not necessary), lightly sanded, then applied the Once. It was almost impossible to layoff evenly, and the finish is rather streaky. I tried both synthetic and good bristle brushes. The final nail is that its already yellowing significantly less than 3 months later!

Elsewhere in the house, I've used a conventional high gloss white on wood with great results - still brilliant white after several years. End result - I'll have to do it all again with a "proper" gloss.

Anyone else had problems like this? Also, is it safe to apply the new gloss directly on the Once, after a light sanding. I'm worried about the yellowing leaching through.

Thanks
Drew

It's acrylic-based isn't it? More and more paint products are going acrylic. All down to environmental concerns about reducing VOC emissions. I think they are a poor substitute for oil based paints/varnishes and inferior in smoothness, finish and weather-resistance. I now use Dulux Professional Undercoat and liquid gloss paints.

I don't think there's a problem painting over the existing paint. The yellowing is probably caused by UV.

Ike

I tried it. Had to paint two coats, at which point, it rather didn't do what it said on the tin.

I found the coverage just wasn't good enough.

Won't be using it again.

Adam

Ike,
Is there a significant advantage in using quality (and expensive) undercoats for interior work? I've tended to skimp on primer/undercoat (B&Q own brand etc), but if it has a significant effect on quality of finish and durability it may be worth spending a bit more.

I'm ashamed to be asking these questions in a way - my dad was a professional painter & decorator all his working life, but I never took an interest until I had a house, family etc to cater for ;)

Drew

Similar experience here, always needed two coats of Once paints. Its thicker than normal paint and does not brush out as well so now I buy normal gloss and expect to do two coats.

As to undercoat/primer, I haven't found using an expensive one to be any different to a cheap one - its primary purpose is to make paint stick to a surface that otherwise wouldn't allow paint to adhere. Since I have never had paint peel away using a cheap undercoat I use a cheap one!

Steve.

I reckon its called that because thats the number of times you'll buy it. Certainly true in my case. Utter rubbish.

Cheers

Tim

Is there a significant advantage in using quality (and expensive) undercoats for interior work?

Once I would have said no. But after I used the Professional Undercoat I would't use anything else - it's gives excellent coverage and it's not significantly more expensive than other branded paint - given it's speed of application, coverage and smoothness, I reckon it's good value. I think it's the longish drying time that's often sways people to choose (unknowingly) rubbish, 'instant results' paint products over a quality, long-lasting paint (not intended in any way as a personal comment to yourself BTW - Tim sums it up succinctly).

It might only be available in 2.5L cans though.

Ike

In my experience, if you know how to paint properly then stick to the traditional style undercoat and liquid gloss paint. Modern non-drip, one-coat types of paint seem to be designed to work best for those who don't really know how to apply the old-style paints and just slap it on. My mother-in-law gets on very well with it :shock: :roll:

I find that if you use traditional techniques when applying modern paints, then the finished result always looks poor. Like others, I've now gone back to "proper paint" :wink:

Paul

I used Dulux professional fast drying undercoat for the first time at the end of last year and now wouldn't use anything else. It's water based, it covers well and provides a good key for the top coat. It dries in a couple of hours so the whole painting job can be completed in a day. No more waiting overnight for the undercoat to dry. Unfortunately they don't yet do a top coat to match.

Andrew

Tend to agree with Paul. I worked some school hols with my dad, enough to be confident I know how to paint - which is why I got worried by the failure to get a decent finish with this stuff.

He's no longer around, but dad would doubtless have something to say about all the new-fangled "easy" paints for DIY - wasn't like that in his day!

Drew

Paul Chapman":vsh803bt said:
Modern non-drip, one-coat types of paint seem to be designed to work best for those who don't really know how to apply the old-style paints and just slap it on.
I resemble that remark... :oops: Probably I'm guilty of being more concerned with just getting it done at all than what the finish is like - I leave that for the woodworking. :oops:

I'll slink away in shame now then, shall I? 8-[

Cheers, Alf

Alf":29v93f79 said:
Paul Chapman":29v93f79 said:
Modern non-drip, one-coat types of paint seem to be designed to work best for those who don't really know how to apply the old-style paints and just slap it on.
I resemble that remark... :oops: Probably I'm guilty of being more concerned with just getting it done at all than what the finish is like - I leave that for the woodworking. :oops:

I'll slink away in shame now then, shall I? 8-[

Cheers, Alf

Alf, if your painting is only half as good as your woodworking, then it will be better than most people can do 8) :wink:

Paul

Latest posts

Back