Probably a stupid question.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artie

Sawdust manufacturer.
Reaction score
Just surfing around and found this item, for the life of me I can't see any advantage to having it.

Attachments

• 49c7a0145b0ecf994ef36d7a2bc14ee5.jpg
    49c7a0145b0ecf994ef36d7a2bc14ee5.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 0
for the life of me I can't see any advantage to having it.
Anything to keep the fingers away from that blade has be a good move, you could just make your own fence or jig but having a bearing would make the task easier. Never heard of Fonson tools though, it looks like another asian rip off but probably more than fit for purpose as it is just a guide but similar to woodpeckers.

1712499197612.png

The thin rip jig kind of becomes the fence and you move the fence towards the jig after each cut. The theory is that it's always tricky dealing with thin strips between the blade and fence but using one of these the thin strip you want is actually at the side where the off cut would normally be so not getting trapped between fence and blade if that makes any sense?

Not sure how well it will work with the blade mounted as in the photo :oops:

Anything to keep the fingers away from that blade has be a good move, you could just make your own fence or jig but having a bearing would make the task easier. Never heard of Fonson tools though, it looks like another asian rip off but probably more than fit for purpose as it is just a guide but similar to woodpeckers.

View attachment 178965.

That picture is crazy. Just use two push sticks!
Just surfing around and found this item, for the life of me I can't see any advantage to having it.
Keeps gadget salesmen off the streets?

I think it's an April fool - it looks completely useless and the blade in the saw is the wrong way round.
One thing it certainly can't do is make repetitive cuts easier, you'd have to adjust the fence for each cut.
Never give a sucker an even break!

Last edited:
i view any item that is close to the workpiece or the saw blade as one more thing that can be picked up and hurled at terrific speed should things go pear shaped. Couple of push sticks and no distractions when doing thin cuts works for me.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall however when that backward mounted sawblade makes contact.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall however when that backward mounted sawblade makes contact.

Hopefully not the piece of wall where the wood will make contact. You’d be one very squashed fly 😅

View attachment 178965.
Fonsons are Chinese.

I had a senior moment once and put the table saw blade in backwards, nothing happened, it just didn't cut well.

My thinking was, it's no better than a feather board I made from wood in a few minutes.

You either set the fence and move the feather board or set that gadget and move the fence.

Cutting narrow strips would necessitate a zero clearance insert, so which side of the blade irrelevant.

Am I missing something?

My thin rip jig(as that is the current term being used but I think of it as a stop block) is just a bit of wood clamped to the miter gauge to give the the set position for your fence and board to butt up to. Placed at the front of the table well away from the blade. The rest is done with 2 push sticks. Downside is it looks pretty boring with no bright shiny metal, knobs or wheels. However it has allowed me to cut thin strips for as long as I have had tablesaws. Did I mention the cost is SFA
Regards
John

Back