Prince Fredericks Royal Barge 1732

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam W.

A Major Clanger
Reaction score
I went and had a look at some wooden boats today for a bit of inspiration.......

This one is made entirely from the most amazing quatersawn oak and spent its life slicing along the Thames.

IMG_5660.JPG

IMG_5661.JPG

IMG_5658.JPG

IMG_5652.JPG

IMG_5654.JPG

IMG_5647.JPG

inspiration.......
Inspiration ?, as in to buy or to build ?

OK, 260' mega yachts aside(As until I win the lottery), I cant quite stretch to one... :LOL:
Always fancied a small canal boat- the 20-22' size, or something as small, sleeping area etc but stream powered.

I've always wanted a wherry, but I'm not sure I can find the crew of 22 to propel me along the river in such magnificent style, so I'll have to scale it down a bit.

Carving with gold applied, lovely :) thank you for the images, love the leaves in the last one.
I think the oak leaf swag is a nod to both his German ancestry and the material the boat is constructed from, a nice detail and the whole thing was completely stunning.

It's at the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich and is FOC to get in, so worth a look if you're ever in town.

Inspiration ?, as in to buy or to build ?

OK, 260' mega yachts aside(As until I win the lottery), I cant quite stretch to one... :LOL:
Always fancied a small canal boat- the 20-22' size, or something as small, sleeping area etc but stream powered.
I wouldn't mind something similar powered by a small 10hp 186 diesel engine....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/31409216...tixoXeJTeO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPYSmall enough to trailer, big enough to sleep on.

That or a bluejacket 24...

I'll take a camera with me next time, but I'm going to a liquid lunch at the Guildhall before that, so they may be a little blurry.

Stockholm is a bit out of the way for me, as it's in the other direction to which I normally travel, unfortunately.

One day I’m going on a road trip through Scandi just to check out the boat museums (and stave churches). Probably.

Little known fact, after migrating to England, Grinlin Gibbons spent his early career as a ship’s carver

Loved the way you placed a small child in the bow shot to give it some scale. 🤣

Back